carb trouble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemax

Reaction score
I did the "shot gun " on my carbs. I think I might not have gotten the pilot screws back in the same distance as they were before. My bike won't start and it back fires and shoots smoke out of the exhaust. The dealership that just synched the carbs drilled out the plug and left the chips in the thread so the screws were binding and I don't think they seated so I might be off a turn or 2. Any help would be greatly apreciated.:bang head: look at the pics of the pilot holewhere the hack let the drill walk off the plug and drilled into the housing!!!

Attachments

• vmaxcarbs 002.jpg
    vmaxcarbs 002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 27
  • vmaxcarbs 004.jpg
    vmaxcarbs 004.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 28
You should gently seat them(close).Counting how many turns that they were open.You definately do not want to force them and strip out the screwhead.

I wonder if you got the diaphrams back in correctly?It can be dificult until you see it done one time.

I did the "shot gun " on my carbs. I think I might not have gotten the pilot screws back in the same distance as they were before. My bike won't start and it back fires and shoots smoke out of the exhaust. The dealership that just synched the carbs drilled out the plug and left the chips in the thread so the screws were binding and I don't think they seated so I might be off a turn or 2. Any help would be greatly apreciated.:bang head: look at the pics of the pilot holewhere the hack let the drill walk off the plug and drilled into the housing!!!

If I am not mistaken those are your A/F ratio screws.
1st check your plugs to make sure they arent failed.
2nd you may have drained your battery low cranking trying to start it.
3rd a Good setting to start is turn the A/F screws all the way in to stop. back out 2.5 turns.

Try and start it. if the plugs are dry, and the battery is fully charged.

Keep us updated please.

o.k. the plugs were fouled. I changed the plugs and screwed the pilot screws 2.5 turns out from where they seat. It acts like it wants to start but now I am getting some blow back through the carbs. I can also hear the rollers on my starter clutch popping and I don't think it is stopping the flywheel from rotating backwards.

Shawn,

Is there a trick to the diaphrams? They are notched and they seem to be seated right and the slides move pretty easily. I am ready to move to fuel injection. The thing that is troubling me the most is the starter clutch. I have a 06 and already have to replace it.:bang head:

Back