catastrophic part failure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I was at my local high performance shop (Under Pressure, Dania Beach FL) this evening & saw this pulled-out by a bike owner who told me the story of his rider who was drag-racing the owner's turbo Hyabusa. The countershaft sheared-off between the sprocket and the case, causing serious damage to the rider, he's lucky to still have his foot! See for yourself, and imagine what could happen.

Attachments

• Turbo Hyabusa countershaft.pdf
    103.4 KB · Views: 93
That's a solid chunk of steel!.......Looks like it's been twisting for a bit, I wonder how much power that bike makes and how many "Hard Launches" are on that shaft?

Wow

so, the meaning of this could be,

hight power =
hight scedule inspection,

and this could be the for some of us with powerfull Max who`s ride it hard (not the trailer queen)

I've twisted like 4 shafts like that. I also seem to strip out the spline teeth like 4 or 5 times. Sean said he's surprised because he's had some high horsepower bikes that don't even do that and I'm not even doing burnouts at all!! But with my monster 250 tire on back I'm guessing that's just kind of the nature of my beast. Better the shafts and universals than a tranny though. Last time I had my shaft/gear (in transfer case) Tig welded. No more shaft issues( so far) but I have stripped a universal since. I'm becoming VERY proficient at pulling the whole rear end and shaft assembly. I can probably take it apart and back together in less than an hour. Ed

Yesterday they were working on the "Slater Racing" bike whose video I had previously posted (the orange bike). I believe it is a Top Gas bike doing bracket racing somewhere in the 7's. It has an engine of 1600 cc's+ and runs a compression of 18:1,+. And yes, it runs NOS. It hurts your ears to hear it run in the shop. It holds records at two south Fl drag strips as well as other records.

They had a big block Kawi in the engine assy. room w/a split 5th gear & a undercut/"dog-ear" auto gearbox w/a huge custom fabricated block to locate the middle crank saddle between the cases, it was Generation 2 because the first one didn't work as well as they wanted. It had cut clearances for the crank throws of the cyl's on either side of the saddle. It was an AL billet piece about 4"x 3" and fit between the machined stock webs of the upper case but it mounted in the lower case. My friend the machinist had done it for them & the case machining. I didn't take a pic but I probably could get one.

Back