Clutch Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godsend1

Reaction score
I have a 1986 with 18K on it. The seller said the clutch had a slow leak so I have been keeping an eye on it. I ride approximately 50miles a day for commuting. I have noticed that when releasing the lever in 1st gear there is an occasional clunk, like when you drop it into gear. The fluid level is low.

I read in the other thread that most likely it is the slave cylinder leaking. I read the service manual(Page 261) and it seems to call it the clutch release assembly. Is this correct?

Also is the clunking caused by low fluid level?

And another thing what size are the master cylinder cover screws?

Last edited:
Sounds kinda expensive for 2 o rings and a spring. I am learning that EBAY isnt always the cheapest route to go

Sounds kinda expensive for 2 o rings and a spring. I am learning that EBAY isnt always the cheapest route to go

I hear ya. I'm trying to find the right kit, Ron Ayers fiche only goes to 91 and this kit shows it may or may not work for a 86. I have emailed him my question as well.

I need to get this done as the more I ride the more fluid is leaking into my oil.

I hear ya. I'm trying to find the right kit, Ron Ayers fiche only goes to 91 and this kit shows it may or may not work for a 86. I have emailed him my question as well.

I need to get this done as the more I ride the more fluid is leaking into my oil.

I have 2 Late model slave cyln. Years are a 99 and a 03. both engines have under 20K on em. I am sure they will bolt right up. If you want one I will send you one for 25.00 + Shipping.

Thanks for the offer Yankee, moneys tight so I'll probably go to the local dealer and buy the rebuild kit. My local dealer shows $14.

I went the late model route so i didn't have to cherry pick rebuild kits. I bought a '97 slave cyclinder and the rebuild kit off Ebay. I refreshed the slave and it was a direct bolt up.

I have a set of Nissin masters on the way as well.

Back