Clutch safety switch??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVMAX

Reaction score
Hello, all you Maxers. Got a question for whoever may have the answer. Does our bike have some kind of clutch safety switch? When I first got my bike, you could hold in the clutch and you could start the bike. Now, the only way it will start is if it's in neutral. Any advise would be great. Be safe this weekend.

Yes it has. Its under the clutch master and its connected to the start circuit cutoff relay. Its wired in such a way that allows you to start the bike with it in gear and the clutch pressed. The switch has two small terminals that are wired to the left control unit wiring and the 9 pin connector under the gauge cluster. It goes to the start circuit cutoff relay and another one passes by the side stand switch and diode assembly. All the circuit needs to be in order for the starter relay to receive signal from the starter circuit cutoff relay and engage for starter operation. The big boss, the starter circuit cutoff relay gets inputs from the clutch switch, side stand switch, the neutral switch and the engine stop switch.

Thank-you for the info. With what I described, where I do I look for failures? I am new to this bike and still learning. thanks again.

The switch may be bad or the wiring can be as well. Take the covers out and look around. If you need wiring schematics you can find them here on the forum. To check for switch working use a multimeter with a buzzer or a test light to check open and close switch circuit. Check if the terminals are plugged in. You may have disconnected them when cleaning your bike or something similar.

Also, be sure the side stand is up as that will keep the bike from starting in any circumstance.

Back