Converting fuel guage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V85wick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new member and viewed a post on here about converting the old red light guage on a Vmax with an actually fuel guage that shows how much fuel you have. Now I know that you have to have a sender and guage that work at the same frequency so the guage works properly. I was not able to find this post again so I am hoping some that viewed and wrote on this post see my post. With all of the ideas I saw about using Acewell sender and guage, actual modification of the tank would have to be done as these install from the top of the tank. I did find one that may work and requires no modification to the tank except sealing the old sender hole at the bottom. This is a hydrostatic guage that comes off the fuel line and can tell how much fuel you have by measuring the pressure coming out. I may be trying this put on my 1985 vmax rebuild. Let me know what you think and it you think it's possible. Thanks.!
https://www.lskelectronics.com/store/FuelGaugePro-Analog-Panel-Gauge-Kit-p286783482

Hi all, I am a new member and viewed a post on here about converting the old red light guage on a Vmax with an actually fuel guage that shows how much fuel you have. Now I know that you have to have a sender and guage that work at the same frequency so the guage works properly. I was not able to find this post again so I am hoping some that viewed and wrote on this post see my post. With all of the ideas I saw about using Acewell sender and guage, actual modification of the tank would have to be done as these install from the top of the tank. I did find one that may work and requires no modification to the tank except sealing the old sender hole at the bottom. This is a hydrostatic guage that comes off the fuel line and can tell how much fuel you have by measuring the pressure coming out. I may be trying this put on my 1985 vmax rebuild. Let me know what you think and it you think it's possible. Thanks.!
https://www.lskelectronics.com/store/FuelGaugePro-Analog-Panel-Gauge-Kit-p286783482
If you get one let us know with a follow up I'm very curious ! I have an old dump truck that needs this I been using a yardstick lol!

Having read the installation and calibration instructions it seems to be a reasonable investment and should give a good indication of the fuel level particular,y if calibrated for 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 levels.
That said, I suspect most of us know the range of our bikes so working out how much we have left isn't too onerous a task.
The value of the unit is an individual matter, spend on a fuel gauge or some other 'safety related' part? 🤔

I recall reading about a fellow who had their child place a golfball into the fuel filler neck, and end up in the tank. It was a long time ago, obviously, because of the restrictors now in-place for decades.

He said, "when I heard the golfball rattling around more-frequently, I knew the fuel level was getting low."

If you take pics of the install, I'm sure some members will be interested.

20200518_200036.jpg Mod monkey CRACK! LOL, I used off the shelf EQUUS gauge's during the R&D.
Gauge's have a wide range of resistance that make them easy to pair up with a sending unit.

Infact it was easier to do so than was to fabricate the cool new dash to hold a custom gauge/warnig light cluster.

I used a kawasaki sending unit in my custom 5 gal. tank, a real frankinsteen TIG job, but its solid and works well for about 5 yrs. now.

There are really cool universal mount marine/farm/race application sending units available today that would make it a clean, easy, plug and play mod.
Googoo: Fuel Tank/Cell sending unit's ,images. Thats where you'll get your creative juices flowing. Post pics when complete.

Damn! I've scoured my pics and cant find my "Gauges folder" to show how the fabrication went and the testing of gauges.

Looks like my Youtube video is still up. Vmax Fuel Gauge, check it out.

Gent

binnacle is a nautical term. I've never sailed in the Pacific, but I have sailed hundreds of miles off the Atlantic coast, and the compass in the binnacle is what you set your course by, its accuracy is what your life depends upon.

Get a hold of Gentsvmax on this forum hes super knowledgeable and hes already done one. Real nice guy I'm sure he would help you out.

Back