Couldn't resist, '74 CB360

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likembikem

Reaction score
Not running yet. Tank was sealed some time ago. Petcock leaks and I am going through carbs first thing. Came with another tank (dented) and several other parts. Vin on frame says 1973, so not bad looking for a 50 year old. I took this picture after it's first wash in years. I also plan to remove the luggage rack to make it more factory looking. It is not a factory color, but I may fix that too. I couldn't resist being only $300.

Attachments

• cb360.jpg
    cb360.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
The 350's were 1968-1973, the 360 was from 1974. Early bikes in a model year's production run were built in the second half of the prior year, usually starting sometime in the summer.

I think the CB/CL/SL 350's are more expensive to purchase/better ROI when fixed. However, condition, condition, condition! This looks very clean, you bought it 'well,' as is said. Someone spent some $ on that luggage rack, most utilitarian 350's/360's just got a plastic milk crate fastened to them.

That appears to be the base model, w/a drum front brake. My older brother bought one new, w/a disc brake.

Last edited:
Right, sold as a '74. I tell ya, that big ole front drum seems pretty good (as I coasted down the hill to the garage). I would prefer an SL 350 but ya sometimes gotta get what's there. To me the 360's always seemed a little weird. Trying to better the 350 but not much and only around a couple of years. I also have a 1975 CB125. It has a front disc brake, but it is cable actuated, not hydraulic. Looks cool though. It is also on the list of fixin up. Also the oil filter 'screen' seemed a poor design. However my '72 CL175 back in the day didn't seem to mind no oil filter, I checked the oil every now and then and that was about it. Must have been a good machine to have a teenager take care of it.

The early 1960's CB72 (Honda 250cc parallel-twin SOHC twin-carburetors) and CB77 (305cc Superhawk, same design) used a centrifugal drum as an oil filter. Oil would flow to it under pressure, and particulate matter would accumulate via centrifugal force on the interior rim of the drum (part #18, 1st pic). It was chain-driven by a small pitch chain (#23 1st pic) off the left crankshaft (see #9, 2nd pic).

1675946579949.png1675947659085.png

Many bikes were neglected in servicing, where the centrifugal drum would not be cleaned of residue. It was a simple task, and if you were careful, you could re-use the gasket to access for the centrifugal oil drum filter.

An oil-tight parallel-twin SOHC twin-carbureted engine w/electric start that could run at 9,000 rpm consistently, manufactured with precision on the best tooling of the day, it was a game-changer for the industry. The British were gobsmacked, they didn't realize that in a mere 15 years, their motorcycle industry for their large displacement product would essentially end. Meanwhile the Hondas would progress from parallel-twins to transverse-mounted inline fours, w/SOHC, 5 speeds, and disc brakes front and rear. The other Japanese manufacturers would leave two-strokes behind, and start their own multi-cylinder products, with DOHC, and even larger displacements. The world of motorcycling had changed.

From the 250/305cc displacements, Honda came out with the CB/CL/SL 350 line-up (actually 325cc) and then your 360 line, which eventually became the 400 Hawk (395cc) in the next design w/2 intakes and 1 exhaust. Six speeds, Com-Star solid-spoke wheels, electric start and the fit and finish which attracted so-many riders to Honda.

Given the proper attention, that survivor CB360 could outlast you.

What a cool little thumper. Congrats on a nice find!
Unpopular sentiment but I've always thought drum brake tech is underappreciated.

My first real motorcycle was a honda CB350. I took it to college a rode everywhere. Good times.

Fire medic that was a really good write about the oil filtering. You are correct, many were neglected, (guilty myself as a kid). I'm planning on the oil filter parts are the first I address. Have to remove the kick start,and footpeg at least. I want to get new side cover bolts before I start this. Thanks for the good info. It is amazing how motorcycles took off in the 70's. I would get a pamphlet at the local m/c dealer and wear it out reading and looking at it over and over, not much else you could do back then and I didn't know many people that had bikes. I do remember a guy in 9th grade who rode a 350/ four to school. He'd pop a wheely and it was quite a site with the wide engine and four pipes!

There was a family with a whole slew of kids, I think there were a dozen, 5 were boys. Their parents owned British and Spanish bikes dealerships, after starting in the 1950's with a German bike dealership. I recall the girls closest in age to me both rode BSA's to school, it was back in the 1960's. The brothers all were racers, and one owned/ran for many years a Kawasaki dealership.

They lived on farmland, and had a scrambles course behind the house on acreage my buddy had a Bultaco 175, and I recall being terrified the first time we went onto the trails, I was sure I was going to end up in the hospital. However, it was not to be, a trip to the hospital, and it did encourage me to start riding on my older brother's C110 Honda, making trails around the fields by our house, there were lots of those, and the cops didn't mind. It was a few years before I bought my first bike a Honda 305 Scrambler (CL77) and began hanging out with friends who all had bikes and rode off-road.

After a year on the 305 Scrambler, I sold it, making a bit of $, and promptly bought a new 360 Yamaha Enduro, which I still have. That bike was stripped down to racing trim for hare scrambles, or left as-is for enduros in MI and FL. It gave me a Yamaha-centric orientation persisting to this day.

Last edited:
Right, sold as a '74. I tell ya, that big ole front drum seems pretty good (as I coasted down the hill to the garage). I would prefer an SL 350 but ya sometimes gotta get what's there. To me the 360's always seemed a little weird. Trying to better the 350 but not much and only around a couple of years. I also have a 1975 CB125. It has a front disc brake, but it is cable actuated, not hydraulic. Looks cool though. It is also on the list of fixin up. Also the oil filter 'screen' seemed a poor design. However my '72 CL175 back in the day didn't seem to mind no oil filter, I checked the oil every now and then and that was about it. Must have been a good machine to have a teenager take care of it.
Nice! If you do go inside, don't forget that starter clutch.

I bought a 72' CB350 from I guy I worked with who needed the money for medical bills. I still miss the bike.
Upgraded to a CB 750 about three years later and then to Magna 1100 in 83'. Had that for 23 years and then sold it.
Along came the VMAX in 2009 and I preordered it. Had to wait 6 months for it but I still have it. I can't see me ever
selling it. I love this bike. Finally found my dream bike.............

Back