dead cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay.b

Reaction score
Just got my 86 max back together. Took it down the road now it seems to be running on 3 cyl. If you unplug the coils the r/r coil seems to be the problem, but I switched coils and the problem stays w/ that cyl. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks Jay

Jay, what does the plug look like? Make sure that cylinder is getting spark. Remove plug and insert into boot. Set on valve cover and turn engine over. Next, check compression of that cylinder. Finally, drain that carb and make sure fuel is present.

Checked compression, 170 psi, it has spark, fuel is present @ the carb. Now what i did find is the a/f screw is siezed in that carb., adjusted the other ones and it is improving. So I guess i need to get that screw out. Any suggestions. Thanks Jay

Just finished working on a 96 VMAX with the same problem. A/F mixture needle on left front carb seized. Mixture too rich, plug fouls. Easy Fix. I changed the main jet of that carb to a smaller size main jet about 10 pts. smaller. Now plug burns brown, no more dead cylinder. The size depends on how rich you mixture is. Experiment. (Bought the main jet from auto supply store. Most Japanese bikes carbs uses the same jets as carbs on carburated Toyotas. Here is the Philippines, they cost .50U$ each.
After synching, listen to the intake sound of each carb with a 2 ft section of a garden hose. You want to hear a hissing sound and not a knocking sound which indicates rich mix.
A Hard Fix. Drill out the seized needle with a 5 mm bit. Then thread a new 6mm .75 thread and use the A/F needle from a Keihin carb repair kit, used by small cc Hondas. Did it on a 400 Yamaha (uses the same Mikuni carbs as the VMAX).

Back