Draining Coolant

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Have to change a radiator hose on my vmax, the fat one on the bottom of the radiator. Looking for information on how to drain the coolant beforehand. I saw what appeared to be a drain valve just a little lower than the hose I will replace. The tube it caps has a phillips head screw in the side of it.

Looking for a youtube or something like that that shows how to do it. The Vmax service manual was just a little confusing and the images are not that great. Thanks

The philips screw is a retainer for the plastic hex nut/valve. Put a catch pan under the little nipple, and turn the plastic nut 180*. It should drain the rad.

If you remove the philips screw, the whole valve will pop out and you'll end up with a mess as coolant goes spewing out everywhere. Really the only reason to remove it is to change the o-ring(which tends to leak)

I have to change the fat radiator hose at the bottom of the radiator, the one that goes to the water pump (I think). Anyway, I figure I will put a big pan underneath and when I remove the fitting to the water pump I will direct antifreeze to the pan and try to minimize any mess. Then reuse the antifreeze (it is brand new) when I put a new hose on. Just asking if anyone sees anything wrong with this process?

Secondly, it would be fantastic if someone has identified a replacement hose they found at an auto store, ie, same fat size and needed curve/bend. This information would be most useful to all Vmax owners that needed to replace this same hose. An example of identifying would be as follows: Buy the xyz hose that fits a 1995 Mitsubishi eclipse. Fat size and bend match. Cut to fit.

This identification would really help vmax owners. Thanks!

Dannymax had a thread with pics a while back re: the valve position/o-ring . That may help you out too. There's not much you CAN'T find here.
Steve

Latest posts

Back