Exhaust leak help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP168

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m pretty new to my gen 2. I picked it up in February. It’s a 2009 with UFO 4into1 exhaust. On the right rear area I feel air when the engine is running. I figure it’s an exhaust leak but it’s not as obvious as one would think.

This style exhaust is new to me so bear with me please. Where the two rear head pipes join the pipe to the muffler, there’s a joint that appears to have no clamp or weld. Just looks like a press fit?? I think this is where the leak of from, but if so how do you fix it? Since there’s no clamp or broken weld, I can’t see how one would prevent a leak at this joint.
Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Maybe check with Star Rider Performance in Ohio , I think Mike Lees is still the owner and he has tons of experience with the V-Max Mike worked for UFO and Jon Cornell that is why I say give him a call . I think he designed the pipe also but not sure .

Maybe check with Star Rider Performance in Ohio , I think Mike Lees is still the owner and he has tons of experience with the V-Max Mike worked for UFO and Jon Cornell that is why I say give him a call . I think he designed the pipe also but not sure .
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I’ll reach out to them and see if they can help.

if it's just a 'snug' fit and it leaks what I'd normally do is pull it apart and smear some silicone engine gasket around it and push it back together, then let it set for a couple of hours

I have a hindle 4-1. I STILL used the the clamp and the gasket. With any of the aftermarket exhaust that I know of for the gen 2, you still use the 2 stock down pipes on the back of the engine, and just tie in two half pipes. Make sense?

Its #1 on drawing for partzilla. Do you have something different?

Voodoo is the same pipe, unfortunately those require the stock exhaust flang and gasket. Call a Yamaha dealer they can check nationwide for parts. I had to wait 3-4 weeks before they could locate the parts. Everything seems to be on back order. You can also go to Ace Hardware take the bolt with you and get one just a little longer and see if you can wrench it tighter.

I have a hindle 4-1. I STILL used the the clamp and the gasket. With any of the aftermarket exhaust that I know of for the gen 2, you still use the 2 stock down pipes on the back of the engine, and just tie in two half pipes. Make sense?

Its #1 on drawing for partzilla. Do you have something different?

My exhaust is similar but it’s aftermarket from the heads back. That said, I appreciate the input and advice. I think I’m going to take it apart at the leak and use some hi temp RTV. *fingers crossed*

My exhaust is similar but it’s aftermarket from the heads back. That said, I appreciate the input and advice. I think I’m going to take it apart at the leak and use some hi temp RTV. *fingers crossed*

Can you post pics? I'm curious now. Ive havent seen anything without the stock rear headpipes on it. I'm never to old to learn something new.

Bottom and right side pics. I could be wrong as I’m new to Vmax but from what I’ve seen the stock pipes have a collector or cat at the bottom. It’s item 14 in the Partzilla diagram

Attachments

• 3AA093DD-BBC9-4089-BAED-E9CAA11FB270.jpeg
    3AA093DD-BBC9-4089-BAED-E9CAA11FB270.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 5D3BA711-8AF3-4F24-8A84-AAB19908152E.jpeg
    5D3BA711-8AF3-4F24-8A84-AAB19908152E.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 13
I believe you're right bud - that down pipe doesn't look stock.

As Traumahawk said, my Voodoo (same as UFO) cat delete pipes tie into the factory down pipes via the stock gaskets and clamps.

Thats not a voodoo exhaust....although it might have a voodoo can on it. here is from the voodoo website.

https://www.voodoomoto.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=812672
Its not a hindle exhaust.....although the rear pieces are curved like it. The front pipes on the hindle are stepped. Hindle=Brocks exhaust as well. Like Voodoo=UFO. Mine is a hindle.....with a kerker can on it.

Attachments

• HINDLE_KIT_YMX17SSR_nolabel_web-500x500.jpg
    HINDLE_KIT_YMX17SSR_nolabel_web-500x500.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
Thats not a voodoo exhaust....although it might have a voodoo can on it. here is from the voodoo website.

https://www.voodoomoto.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=812672
Its not a hindle exhaust.....although the rear pieces are curved like it. The front pipes on the hindle are stepped. Hindle=Brocks exhaust as well. Like Voodoo=UFO. Mine is a hindle.....with a kerker can on it.
I bought the bike used with the exhaust already on it. I’m not sure what the head pipes are but the muffler is ufo and it has a ufo tuner. I’d guess whoever put it together also used ufo head pipes but I’m only guessing. There’s very little info online about what UFO used to offer when they were still in business.

UFO made very few things.....just rebranded a lot. The UFO exhaust was actually voodoo. The maxdaddy wheel, was actually made by RC components.

Doesnt look like marks performance exhaust as well.

UFO made very few things.....just rebranded a lot. The UFO exhaust was actually voodoo. The maxdaddy wheel, was actually made by RC components.

Doesnt look like marks performance exhaust as well.
Thanks for the info on rebranding and now it explains why the Max Daddy rear wheel weighed more than a boat anchor !!!

Back