loose header pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telelinkken

Reaction score
I've also got a loose header pipe rattling around from both ends.
I tried replacing the hose clamp on the muffler end and it did help for a minute but the header connection seems bad?
I am not sure of the cylinder identification , but it is the rear right hand side.
How should I resolve this properly?

Stock exhaust or aftermarket? What year bike though I assume the gen 1 based on your pic. It's common with stock front pipes for them to crack the inner wall loose from the outer wall.

It is an '85. I assume that it is stock?
If it is cracked, what is it that needs to be replaced??

It is an '85. I assume that it is stock?
If it is cracked, what is it that needs to be replaced??
If it's stock (which you can picture if you want), AND if it's cracked on the inner pipe then you can have that welded back up (through the opening at the front of the pipe. You have to remove it off the bike to check it.

For the impoverished VMax biker, a no-cost 'fix' is to put a dimple in the header pipe in an inconspicuous location to make contact with the inner pipe, to stop the rattle. Obviously, the weld is going to be a better fix.

Sean has posted pics of the cut-apart header pipes and also the stock resonator box/dual megaphone which could give anyone facing this type of repair a better idea of the construction. Use the search function. One pic I found of the megaphone, from Sean Morley:

1697290219195.png

More from Sean:

1697290487077.png

1697290526069.png
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/stock-exhaust-pic-internals.4029/
All pics from this post. There is another post where he cross-cuts the header pipes and then longitudinally-cuts (lengthwise) the header pipes, but I haven't found it. Thanks to Sean for once again providing the content. His VMax motto should be, Questions Answered (Quaestiones Responderunt)

VMax Jean Claude Olivier Yamaha Motor France-copy.png

This is the Yamaha Motor France head who got the bike homologated there.

Last edited:
Take it off, send it to me if you're unable to find anybody else to weld it. I'm in Texas. Your avatar here leads me to believe you are originally Scandinavian, are you?

I was not aware that I had an avatar??
Negative, Portuguese .

Thank you Jack, give me some time to get it off???
I am still riding my VFR as much as possible before the snow starts flying here!

Oh, ok. I speak Portuguese, not very good but I get by. Send me a picture of the problem you're having with the tube.

The username you are using sounds very Swedish or Danish. My mistake.

Or Finnish (Finland)

One of the recent movies I enjoyed, a Finnish former commando, prospecting for gold, kills a bunch of Nazis as WWII is drawing to a close, and are using a 'scorched earth policy' as they retreat to the fatherland. Sisu is the name.

Yeah, I get it, the double K!
It is just a nickname, tele for tele ski , link for linking turns and Ken.
My name comes from Portugal, they immigrated to Canada and I was born in Norther California.
I speak English (poorly) and picito espanol? (very badly)

I should watch the movie. Haven't had a chance yet.
It's entertaining. It's also very violent. Then again war isn't known for not being violent. He goes Rambo one-better in treating his wounds. Rambo's emptying a cartridge into his abdomen wound and lighting it set a high standard, but the Sisu guy has multiple traumas he deals with in various ways.

Oh, ok. I speak Portuguese, not very good but I get by. Send me a picture of the problem you're having with the tube.

Hi there Ola Como vai Send me a private msg por favor grato

that ring on the end of the pipe was loose!
I welded it on with a couple little tac-welds and clamped it back in there!!
Holding tight, no rattling anymore!!!
The other end by the muffler has a small leak now though?

Attachments

• P1130404.JPG
    P1130404.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1130405.JPG
    P1130405.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • P1130406.JPG
    P1130406.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
Back