First Bike Suggestions (for Son)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1978 Honda hawk cb400 was my first gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my sisters first street bike. Don't take offense to that she can out ride most everyone on this site- They don't call her "The Flying Angel" for nothing.

My first was a 76 triumph 650 at 14, then a Harley xlx 1000 I built when I was 16, a quadracer 500 for the trails. My son and I just looked at the new Honda cb300f. It's a pretty cool streetfighter style low hp bike. But it's a grand more than I paid for my vmax lol. Almost 4K.

My first was a 76 triumph 650 at 14, then a Harley xlx 1000 I built when I was 16, a quadracer 500 for the trails. My son and I just looked at the new Honda cb300f. It's a pretty cool streetfighter style low hp bike. But it's a grand more than I paid for my vmax lol. Almost 4K.

Look at the new Yamaha which is in the same class, a sport-styled entry-level bike. $5K.

Engine Type 321cc liquid-cooled, DOHC inline twin-cylinder; 4 valves/cylinder
Bore x Stroke 68.0mm x 44.1mm
Compression Ratio11.2:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel injection
IgnitionDigital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed, wet multiplate clutch
Final DriveChain
368 lbs.
Seat ht. 30.7"

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/supersport/models/yzf-r3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12
I dunno how hard it would be in your area to title a non-titled bike. If it had a title, I would say a great 1st bike. The SilverWing was a loaded touring bike w/fairing, luggage, & more. There were also turbo 500 & 650 CX's. The first out was the 500 and at the time it was the most technologically-advanced Honda on the market. The engine bore little resemblance to the carb bike.

If you know how to get it titled, offer him $400. That's more than he's got into it w/the MAC exhaust & the repairs, if he had the work done at a shop.

I think there's a spec-class for boat racing using the transverse Honda V-twin engine, in Australia.

My first bike was an '81 Suzuki GS450L. I really feel its the perfect size to feel like a lot of power to a new rider, but not ACTUALLY enough power to instantly kill yourself as soon as you touch the throttle... like with the VMax.

The problem I have with learning on an underpowered bike is that you don't learn to be scared of it (respect its ability to end you...abruplty), and being unable to accelerate out of a bad situation just limits your options.

If he's never ridden before, a small 250 dual purpose bike would be a good beginners bike. Other than that, something like an 880 or 1200 Sportster would be ok too....
Agree. My 1st "street" bike was a DT-175. He's a bit bigger than I was, so a DT-250 should be about perfect. Rugged bikes, inexpensive, not costly to repair if dropped, and allows him to tool around on the trails as well as the street.

EDIT: Whoops, this is months old. I imagine you found something by now.

Nope, he's still looking. Leaning toward a Ninja 600 on Suzuki GS500. He's still saving his money.

My buddy has a Ninja 650 parallel twin , pretty darn nice bike. Fast but controllable, comfortable even for my largeness. Handles like a sport bike, and they are cheap.

Latest posts

Back