First Bike Suggestions (for Son)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mid 80's Honda V30 or V45. I've been seeing them around craigslist pretty reasonable.

They can be had for nothing, I've got 700 magna I've been trying to give away for a year...still got it.

My first bike was an 84 kz550. Didnt last long though. It didnt have enought balls for me.

My 1st owned bike was/is my 2009 Vmax. But I recently purchased a 2005 Ninja 250 for my wife and it's a frigging blast to ride. Might be a little compact for someone 6'3" but I am 6'1" 225 and I can ride the 05 just fine. But it's no Vmax!!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

What style bike does he want?
When I was that age all I wanted was a supersport (not a good first bike), and I still love them (ride a 2014 Yamaha R1).
The kawasaki ninja 250/300, honda cbr300 and new Yamaha R3 all have the supersport look but are beginner friendly. The SV650S has a half fairing, and you can get a full fairing for the looks.

The SV650 is also good (I'm actually in the market for one to make into a track only bike), along with the Kawasaki Ninja 650.

If he wants a cruiser the 600cc-900cc bikes are plentiful and cheap (under $3k) on craigslist. Vulcans, Vstars, etc. The 250cc cruisers are pretty under powered.

Also take into account the roads he'll be riding. I almost bought a DRZ400 a few years back, but a friend that had one talked me out of it because where I live most of the time I need to get on the freeway, and traffic is consistently doing 80mph+, and the guy that had the DRZ HATED taking it on the freeway. But if you're going to be running around through the city or windy back roads that bike would be a blast.

Fazer or a Radian. Both of them are zippy and easy to ride... Or maybe just take him to look at a bunch so he could at least sit on them to see how he's proportioned on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a 1989 Kawasaki EX 500 (Ninja) for $700. Seems to have good reviews in the press as a good beginner bike.

Just wondering, with all this talk of 'first bikes,' how-many of us began riding on a parallel-twin, like a Honda 305 Scrambler (me) or a 305 Superhawk? Or for those who started a bit later, a Honda CB, CL, or SL 350? Then there were the parallel-twin 2-strokes, like the Kawasaki Avenger 350, the Suzuki Titan 500 or the 200/250/350's (Invader, Hustler), and the Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler, before the 250 cc DS 7, 350 cc R-5, and the RD 250/350's? Some eye-candy: http://classic-motorbikes.net/classic-bike-images/yamaha-classic-motorcycles/

4 stroke single cylinder Honda. 65 rip-roaring CCs.. 6.2 mind blowing horsepower! 60 mph downhill with a tailwind.

My first was a honda ct 70, more of a mini bike than a motorcycle. I also had a CB350

1978 Honda hawk cb400 was my first gem.

My first bike (19yrs old) was a 1999 Vmax. It had some porting work done to the heads, a 4 into 1 Sudco exhaust and a stage 7 jet kit. It had 137 rwhp and made a little north of 100 lb-ft of torque both times I had it dyno'd.

It was terrifying and educational. And I really miss it. Never should have sold that bike!

I learned on a Yamaha Seca 2. 600 cc, air cooled, cafe racer style. I had a lot of fun on it and it was quick and nimble enough....

Back