Florida ramble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some shots from my trip today to visit an old friend who has more old crocks than I do. :rofl_200:He likes English bikes and 'airhead' BMW's. He is a grad of OK State U and a Marine, and has been a FL general contractor for probably 40+ years. We once taught public school in the same community but many years-apart.

First shot is starting out on the trip, I saw the item to the left of the basketball backboard on its way to the Miami Dolphins Stadium for the Cleveland game, even-though it's away. It says, Goodyear. The Dolphins won, and sorry Cleveland, we still have LeBron, and a couple of NBA titles he earned.

Next is a Mitsubishi scooter called a Silver Pigeon, very desireable among vintage scooter collectors. I included a pic of another, complete.

A 1968 BSA Spitfire, which hasn't run in many years. It got to run up & down the road today for the first time. It shifts fine. I think it's a good start on a rat bike. That is an authentic gas tank from another American two-wheeled cycle, it came on an AJS my friend bought about 30 years-ago.

Here the Spitfire is stored-away, w/a Norton Commando sniffing its exhaust, like some-sort of mechanical dog. The Commando is roadworthy and tagged, and used.

Next is my favorite Norton Commando design, a 'Fastback.' Not-much for bodywork, just an engine and running gear. Awaiting work.

I forget if that's a Plymouth or Ford Business Coupe, all original, he's had it a long time.

A sidecar, chassis elsewhere.

1972 Bonneville, complete.

Attachments

• Max and blimp.jpg
    Max and blimp.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Jap scooter.jpg
    Jap scooter.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon.jpg
    Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Mike's BSA side view.jpg
    Mike's BSA side view.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Norton by BSA.jpg
    Norton by BSA.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Norton Fastback.jpg
    Norton Fastback.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Plymouth business coupe.jpg
    Plymouth business coupe.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Sidecar.jpg
    Sidecar.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Triumph covered 1972 Bonneville.jpg
    Triumph covered 1972 Bonneville.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 31
Cool pictures, almost like watching American Pickers.
My friend who shot himself had a huge garage full of Brit
Bikes and parts. I always asked him when we were gonna
get around to putting some back on the road.

Guess Never.:sad2: Good to visit friends while you still can.

Hey, Dave, if you can see those pics, I guess the operation was a success, congratulations.

Yes, it is very-much like American Pickers except he doesn't sell much at-all, he just buys. The amount of bikes and other vehicles he has is like some rural farm where the generational vehicles are literally "put-out to-pasture." Except, it's in the City of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. He has a lot more bikes.

When I was young, my Dad bought Motorcycles, Airplanes and Cars/Trucks to repair and resell. I learned the basics of engines and actually flew with Dad in the plane when I was 3. I have a lot of fond memories of those days. Our barn was full of really Cool Stuff.

Because of the lens implants I opted for I'm having a little more difficult time healing than straight cataract surgery. I can see details for miles which is good for the shooting I'm gonna be doing. I still need Mild Readers but that may clear as the healing process progresses. Also a few more minor procedures to clear a slight astigmatism and get rid of some glare sensitivity in my right eye. It amazes me how much faster my reaction time is and how much more coordinated I am now.

That's great news to hear about your surgical outcome.

I think learning from your dad is a great story, and a wonderful way to learn your mechanical skills.

Back