Fuel switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiz1500

Reaction score
High guy's
yes I am a newbee to the forum.....:eusa_dance:
I have this 85 I just bought and the bike will not run with the fuel switch in the on position.
The fuel light does not glow at ignition turn on, I'm assuming that it's burned out.
I have not had a chance to get in there and look around, I'm on 12 Hr at work.
The question is do you think the burned out light would keep the fuel pump relay from turning the pump on even though the fuel tank is full.
If thats not the problem then has any one come across this before ?
Thanks in advance...
P.S. I am a wrench and I did read and understand the sticky.

Hey Wiz, welcome!

The fuel pump should still operate even with a burnt out bulb. I would first verify the bulb is burnt out...perhaps swap the neutral lamp. If the bulb is good then it's the fuel sending unit which fits in the bottom of the fuel tank. Being that the RES setting words that tells me the fuel pump and fuel pump relay are fine.

Hey Wiz, welcome!

The fuel pump should still operate even with a burnt out bulb. I would first verify the bulb is burnt out...perhaps swap the neutral lamp. If the bulb is good then it's the fuel sending unit which fits in the bottom of the fuel tank. Being that the RES setting words that tells me the fuel pump and fuel pump relay are fine.
Thank you for your quik responce.
So if the sending unit goes out it would turn the light on and the pump off even with a full tank of fuel.
So the light should be on ....I have to go check the bulb.....That would help conferm the sending unit....
Time to brake out the FLUKE and take some time of work...:biglaugh:
Now I have a direction...:party:
Thanks again :You_Rock::cheers:

If sending unit was working it would turn the bulb on and turn the fuel pump off via the relay. After thinking about this it could be the relay or even the reserve switch. Let me look at the manual again.

If sending unit was working it would turn the bulb on and turn the fuel pump off via the relay. After thinking about this it could be the relay or even the reserve switch. Let me look at the manual again.
I'm looking at mying on cd-rom right now my self...
I,m on page 7-53 it looks like if the light is out but the sending unite is in position 8 (full emptey) the relay will still be put into no run condition.
So the bulb doesnt cotrole the relay it just looks at it...
I bet you a doller my bulb is bad and my sending unit...
If I have 12 volts at the bulb tomarrow when I get home then i'll no.
A'm I looking at that right?

Yep, I would start with the bulb and RES switch first. Then, do the voltage checks of the fuel pump relay and sending unit. Keep us informed please.

He may be onto something with this bulb burnt out... Back years ago when I first did my insturment cluster gauge setup I didnt have a fuel light and mine wouldnt run either unless I had it on Reserve, I know it sounds crazy!! but my last mod gauge setup I use all my warning lights with LED's and guess what?? I can now run with the fuel switch set on ON and Reserve:clapping:

So yes its a great possibilty that a burnt out bulb wont continue the circuit in return wont run on "ON" only reserve...

The whole VMAX insturment cluster wiring is real tricky and hard to comprhend. Trust me I know, I spent many hours converting from bulbs to LEDS! Part of the reason I am charging the money I am for the hours and hours of R&D to make it work

Latest posts

Back