Gen 2 Will They be Collectable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PresaCan

Reaction score
HI, Just had a question for some of the Gen2 owners.
I grew up street riding in the GSXR days 86-92s especially, was 16 when I got my first 750.
Myself and friends had lots of 750s, 1100s, 7/11s, tons of different combos.
Some of friends had Gammas, one friend had a Walter Wolf.
The amount of bikes we trashed or sold to get something else was ridiculous.
I have wanted either a 750 or 1100 with stock plastics, stock mirrors and turn signals to own.....A mint 1986 750 GSXR currently is fetching 25000.00 and that's if you can find one.. I literally get depressed at the price of some of these bikes and what I used to own. If only I had kept my 771. I guess my point
as owners of the VMAX are we sitting on a collectible? Will the Gen2s be worth keeping and appreciate in value down the road?
I think I have something special, maybe I don't maybe I do. I own a 2017 last year for paint. I'm up in the air about selling and the only reason I would is to try something else because I'm a Motorcyclist at heart.
Just wondered other's opinion.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210607_083834.jpg
    20210607_083834.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200817_123610.jpg
    20200817_123610.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200920_151932.jpg
    20200920_151932.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Over 20 years production for the first gen with some changes after '92 and now 15 years after they were discontinued, they are still not a "collectible" bike in my opinion. People are looking for them since they've always wanted one, and they are still being bought and sold in private party sales on CL and Facebook.

Second Gen production run was from 2009 to 2020 with no changes other than paint and you still see them for sale. I initially passed on the Second Gen I test rode (from a forum member), but a year later I pulled the trigger mainly due to the discontinuation. It's in my stable, but not a daily rider. As long as I have the room, I'll keep it. It won't stop me from trying or buying another bike. I picked up a Goldwing GL1800 after getting the VMAX Gen 2.
The VMAX retailed for $18K.
Not sure used ones will exceed that price, but you never know.

Assume they will be and you have to wait forty years or so before they have a significant value.
The questions I 'd be asking my self would be:
  • How old will I be in forty years (in my case I'd be in me box!)
  • What return on investment would I get?
  • Do I have sufficient cash or income so that I can afford to lock up the money for that time?
  • Can I afford to be wrong?
20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but IMO unless to have sufficient spare cash you;d be better off using it in the short or medium term.

I know a person.who had a gsxr1100 and a 01 gsxr 1000. Siting in his living room. After 18 years he sold the gsxr1000.it had 0 miles on it. And had never been licensed. When he purchased it. He trailers it home.and put it in the house.still had the plastic on the seat. When he needed money.he decided to sell it. Only to get a little less than what he paid for it new. Then the state wanted tax .to be paid for every year the bike sat. He had to sell the bike to a dealer. Who could sort out the mso. And tax issues.
Now he still has the 1100. And it sits in the living room. He thinks it will bring big money someday. But unless someone has the desire to own it. For probably more than the cost of a new bike. It will continue to collect dust. The 1100 was his street race bike. Back in the day.
And will more than likely. Never see the road again.
I feel he would have been better off. Still riding the bike. At least then he could have enjoyed riding it. Now he has decided. He's to old to ride it, like it should be ridden. And doesn't need the money.
So my guess is no a gen2.
Will not be a collectible bike. (Not like a 1985 gen 1). And even the 85. Has no more value than say a 89 or 06. Unless it's museum quality. Ride it and enjoy.

Thanks for everyone's responses input.
I have kept my 17 VMAX in Mint if not Pristine condition. I have won 3 bike shows over the years and it has the best parts on it. After all the mods was just a couple ponies shy of 200hp to the tire, torque was the biggest jump. Dynoed at Echo (they have the best dyno in my area and operator). I have been ridiculous with maintenance, new tires and oil every 2000kms, never ridden in rain, washed detailed before every ride. I enjoy washing and detailing it.
If you wanted a used Gen2 this one would be at the top of the list.
The VMAX does everything I want it to, sounds amazing, pulls, etc.
I'm just wanting a change but worried if I sell, in 20 years time these bikes will fetch big money. I have a Super Duke 1290 GT we tour BC with but that is the only time it gets out of storage.
What I'm really interested in is a Yamaha R1M, ZX10RR, S1000RR M series or am Aprilia RSV4 Factory. The only negative thing about the VMAX is 100kms-120kms to a tank of fuel (that's playing, not 5th gear at 4000rpm).
Again Thanks for the replies.

I installed the 24.5 litre tank last winter one of the best mods I have done. Have no regrets on how much it cost because now my range is so nice. If I drive it nice with some fun can get close to 300km a tank now. If you have had your bike tuned with a PCV I would have it rechecked on dyno if your mileage is down have them check your AFR you might be running rich. Also check those plugs regularly.

I installed the 24.5 litre tank last winter one of the best mods I have done. Have no regrets on how much it cost because now my range is so nice. If I drive it nice with some fun can get close to 300km a tank now. If you have had your bike tuned with a PCV I would have it rechecked on dyno if your mileage is down have them check your AFR you might be running rich. Also check those plugs regularly.
Thanks, I have had it back on the Dyno and the AFR is near perfect.
I get the plugs indexed and this is set 3 with 22000kms. It runs perfect.
I can stretch out the mileage but that's very conservative riding. I have thought about a bigger tank, is your's still under seat or is does it replace the air cleaner cover?. That's the trade off for power I guess, fuel.

Under the seat if you search for bigger fuel tank there are great write ups from several members on site I was last one I believe to do a install write up. Since install I have put over 3000km so far this year no problems no leaks. With my manufacture tank and install the pump clicks off then I just top it off right to the top No over flows or spills.Even used the factory over flow valve so if you ever put bike on it’s side no fuel will spill out

When you say plugs indexed do you mean gapped. If so what gap are you running I changed my plugs already just used what they came at think they are .036 used the NGK factory ones were Deno

Indexing is an old race car trick, possibly gothic tale. You run a line of permanent marker down the side of the plug where the open part of the gap is. The key is to get the open part of the gap facing the intake valves using shims. "Apparently you can gain a few hp".
Haven't had to gap the plugs I'm running.

My prediction is yes but it will take quite a few years before they are selling for crazy money.

I expect they will go the same way as Z1 and CBX1000s have, which 40-50 years on are really quite expensive.

There is one caveat, the way cars and bikes are moving to electric, by the time they same number of years have passed, will the cost of petrol, assuming it is still available, be so prohibitive that they won't be ridden hence drive the price down?

As stated Gen 1 did a twenty-five year run and you can still buy them for 4k-9k. Which I bought one of the first 85's when they came out. Had many bikes before and after. In 2020 bought a Gen 2 16 with 5k, had it about a year and 4 months when it was totaled. It was totally stock when I bought it, just did about 4 mod's to get a few more ponies, broke my heart when it was totaled. Been trying to get back on one but I am really picky and not going to pay $15k-$25 for 09-20. Money is not the issue but then I am not going to pay more than I feel it's worth. Not because I am looking to buy but IMHO Vmax will not make the collectible list like some others. Yamaha sold less Gen 2's per year than Gen1's, yes there are less and there are a few guys that may pay big money for one but they will be far and few between. Hope I am wrong cuz I am still wanting to get back on one but I am 60 and I am not looking at any bike that could equal a lottery win.

Last edited:
My prediction is yes but it will take quite a few years before they are selling for crazy money.

I expect they will go the same way as Z1 and CBX1000s have, which 40-50 years on are really quite expensive.

There is one caveat, the way cars and bikes are moving to electric, by the time they same number of years have passed, will the cost of petrol, assuming it is still available, be so prohibitive that they won't be ridden hence drive the price down?

It's hard to say. I think like you and believe, yes even though there are tons of Gen1s but I truly think that a clean Gen2 pre 18 (because here they can't give them away, the solid black models. My dealer has had a 2020 and had to put catback Aky exhaust on it to attract buyers, anyways) will fetch some big dollars around the same time frame as when the CBX and Z1 were produced.
1. Yamaha has discontinued the VMAX
2. The market is flooded with Gen 1s
3. Only certain dealers carried the Gen 2
4. First production bike to make 200hp at the crank.
I have other argument, statements but I believe due to some of those factors plus that the Gen 2 will be collectable..
Again just my opinion. This is why I'm on the fence about selling mine. That and the VMAX is the baddest bike around with a little help. 😃

It's hard to say. I think like you and believe, yes even though there are tons of Gen1s but I truly think that a clean Gen2 pre 18 (because here they can't give them away, the solid black models. My dealer has had a 2020 and had to put catback Aky exhaust on it to attract buyers, anyways) will fetch some big dollars around the same time frame as when the CBX and Z1 were produced.
1. Yamaha has discontinued the VMAX
2. The market is flooded with Gen 1s
3. Only certain dealers carried the Gen 2
4. First production bike to make 200hp at the crank.
I have other argument, statements but I believe due to some of those factors plus that the Gen 2 will be collectable..
Again just my opinion. This is why I'm on the fence about selling mine. That and the VMAX is the baddest bike around with a little help. 😃
Yeah an 18 and a 20 sold on FB for $14,500 about two and three weeks ago. I am just not into the blacked out look. There is enough black on a motorcycle to start with IMO.

Think Harley Davidson started that with their Denim finish, were you had to wash the bike with windex and not soap, same as those murdered out 18 and beyond MAXs.
I like black but like my stuff clean ocd clean and the dust those would collect would drive me nuts.
Plus side you could get squeegee kids at stop lights to give you a quick wash.

I have a 2019 since new never used water on bike. I only use a product called F11 made by topcoat. Spray the whole entire bike with this stuff even engine and exhaust. Bugs wipe right off and bike always looks clean. Before each ride I give the bike a quick spray with this product takes me half hour to clean whole bike. Always get compliments how clean bike looks and the shine it has.

Back