Grind calipers or hub?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, that's one of the threads I looked at way back in the beginning of this and totally forgot!

It seems like those guys just grind their own, but a couple have had them machined. I think it would be pretty straightforward to get them square using a bench grinder (the side face, not the curved part) but I do have the same concern jedi posted.

It's gonna be weeks at my buddy's shop until it goes in the queue...

Dave, I have done that exact thing that you are looking at doing on my wife's bike. Had a machinist take about the same amount off the calipers.

Over 15,000 miles on the bike now with zero issues.

Mike

Cool. Now I just gotta find someone who can do it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think careful grinding would easily get you there. Though the goal is perfect centering of the caliper a little off one side or the other will be fine so long as the rotor clears the body of the caliper. The pistons will even things up. Even a slight off square will even out once the pads seat up.

I am betting the calipers are fairly cheap if anything happens where you need to start over.

I got my calipers for $50. At least I'm getting to the $50/step part of this project. No more big spending.

Latest posts

Back