Help required

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I am doing fork seals, Race Tech springs, and RICORS today. Here is what the directions say when you are ordering the RICORS and if you want to order oil from them too:

"To ensure you order the correct amount of fluid, please consult your motorcycle's owner manual and double the amount of fluid specified for a single fork leg."

So my stupid question is, they are referring to using twice the oil which is just to fill both legs, and I am not supposed to use twice the stock amount in each leg, right? Sorry, better to ask than to do something incorrect. For my 1993+ forks, the amount should be 20.9 US fluid ounces per fork leg? Thanks for any who reply.

Also, the RICORS have a wide fender washer w/an o-ring part and a narrow part w/a nut securing the wave washer stack, the fender washer part goes in first and the bottom of the fork spring fits over the narrow part w/the nut? That is, the large dia of the RICOR (fender washer w/an o-ring) is closest to the slider at the bottom of the forkleg & the narrow portion is closest to the fork cap?

Phil, if you watch Sean's video on replacing fork seals, he is using progressive springs on the re-assembly. This may be of help to you on the amount of fluid to use.

They are just letting you know that the amount of oil specified is for ONE fork, and that you will need twice that amount when servicing both forks. The intiminator goes in with the small diameter up. I think the intiminator goes in first, then completely collapse the fork and fill with 5w oil until the level is 4.8 inches from the top. Then add your spring, spacer, washer and install the top cap.

We did the seals on Leecifers Max and per Seans video, it was a distance not a volume measurement...................Tom.

Also don't forget to "pump" the assembly a few times when adding the oil....it seems to help bleed out the bubbles when filling. I use a set of dial calipers when checking the oil level. Set the at 4.800, and use the stem on the back side to measure where you are at. when it just touches the stem on the back side of the calipers, you are full to the correct level. I know some people use a syringe with a hose on it, marked at 4.8....put the 4.8 mark at the top, and then use the syringe to remove excess oil to the correct level. Hope it makes sense....if not, watch Sean's video of fork assembly, and he shows it perfectly.

they are just letting you know that the amount of oil specified is for one fork, and that you will need twice that amount when servicing both forks. The intiminator goes in with the small diameter up. I think the intiminator goes in first, then completely collapse the fork and fill with 5w oil until the level is 4.8 inches from the top. Then add your spring, spacer, washer and install the top cap.

+1

Thanks, guys.

And thank-you to Sean for the video.

I ran into "honey-do" requests so all I was able to do was replace one side for the seal & wiper. I didn't get to do the RICORS or the Race Tech springs, but I read the directions for the Race-Tech springs & will have to calculate the length to cut the spacer included, but I did cut a pr. of spacers if I decide to do the RICORS alone w/the stock springs. Having it that far apart though, I might as-well do the springs. I just have to get the time. You have to cut the stock spacer 0.54" (~17/32") or use a piece of PVC as I was planning to do, if you keep the stock springs & use the RICORS.

When I got it done I took it for a spin but had a bit of a wobble, came home & found the front way-underinflated. I gave it a thump before the ride, it didn't seem low, but my foot isn't a good pressure gauge. The tires are <1K mi., new this spring, so I need to pay closer attention.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back