Hi all - new owner from UK

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StanUK

Reaction score
Hi all - long time rider, first time Max owner on the East coast of the UK. I've had an itch for one of these since I started riding - my other big bike is off the road and I figured it was now or never before Ms Thunberg makes us all eat tofu and drive electric 👹. Mine's a full power 1990 US import.

It's benched at the moment with snags and needs a damned good service before I trust it. I'm no wrench guy but all the shops here seem to fear it, so looks like I'm going to have to be one 😁 .

Hello
Servicing is pretty straightforward : oil and filter, air filter, rear drive oil, spark plugs.... all DIY able.

Buy a oil filter wrench (I forget the size) as the oil filter will be on tight.

You need a 3/8 in thin walled spark plug socket.

Replacing the coolant, read the manual to ensure you turn the valve at the bottom of the engine correctly.

If you need to clean the carbs out, that is a more difficult task but there are many posts on here that describe the process

Forks oil replacement and head race setting are a bit involved.

Welcome.

There is nothing particularly complicated on the Max so don't be put off from having a go. A copy of the Service Manual and/ or a Haynes will mystify most things.
As the bike is new to you the first thing I would recommend is a full service (The attached PDF will help) including changing all of the fluids - don't assume it has ever been done!

I would also run one of the proprietary fuel system cleaners through (e.g. Forte).

When replacing the brake and clutch fluids use the reverse bleeding process, particularly for the clutch.

Fork oil does require some dismantling but no big deal (if all else fails read the manual :)).

Headrace bearing adjustment is easier if you have the correct size C spanners - the attached gives some insight on the process.

If you need any help with the 'snags' we will do our best to help.

Attachments

• Service check list.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • Setting the headstock bearings.pdf
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
https://ia800204.us.archive.org/14/...ice-manual/yamahavmaxvmx12-service-manual.pdf

Print-out a copy and place it in a 3-ring binder for the shop. Save this under your computer 'favorites.'

Use the search function to find threads on the subject you need to work-upon. Then read the service manual on it. Printing-out pages will help you to have a handy in-front-of-you 'how-to-do-it guide.

There are many threads on doing things like a carburetor service. If you decide to undertake things, take plenty of pictures! Your work will go much-more smoothly if you do.

Some things you may need to replace are available at your local automobile supply store. Among those are the thermostat, fuel filter, thermocouple for the cooling system, various bulbs, and the oils and coolant. For the coolant buy a name-brand which is compatible with aluminum engines. See whatever coolant color you have in-there, and check to see if the coolant at your local store matches it for color. If you decide to ride the bike as-is, and it needs coolant, use the same color coolant to top it-off. Using a different coolant color may cause a precipitate to form, the coolant can crystallize, and plug-up things in the radiator or the engine coolant passages! That is nothing you want to deal with.

Let us assume for now, the coolant is OK, and it doesn't need topping-off. You checked the coolant valve on the front of the engine, and after consulting the service manual, the valve is positioned properly. You start the engine, and you find you have a coolant leak. You may be able to tighten the clamp and stop it.

If you decide to drain the coolant and re-fill it, flush it first with fresh water. You can use tap water because the water isn't going to stay in there very long. Run the bike until the temp gauge goes to the 3 o'clock position. Either ride it for a bit, or let it idle for a few minutes and when it's off, drain the coolant. Use a catch-basin and see if anything comes-out with the water, something looking like crystals in a clump means, 'flush it again.' You need to repeat flushing with fresh water until the water drained out is clear, and no sediment or crystals.

Be sure you follow the coolant valve instructions to remove air pockets in the coolant circulation. The coolant overflow tank should be about half-full when it's been 'burped' (that coolant valve, remember?) and the temperature gauge should run at the 3 o'clock position under normal use. It can go higher, and at times like a hot summer day, stopped in a traffic jam, the needle may approach the 'red-zone,' but it usually will stop as it approaches that. You should hear the radiator cooling fan kick-in if the coolant temperature gauge climbs. That's what you want. A reminder, use the service manual to become thoroughly-familiar with whatever you want to work-upon. Read the threads about it. Print-out copies from the service manual and the threads you find relevant to the work being done. Take pictures! Take your time, and you should find yourself able to do many things on your own. If you have a more-experienced buddy who can assist you, all the better. If you come to a point where you are stymied, post a question here, and people will help.

The service manual will help keeping things straight. You can also use your local Yamaha dealer's help in ordering things. Many people on here are selling used parts, as your bike may have something which needs replacement. Check the classifieds here. I use Ron Ayres Yamaha here in the USA to order parts, Look at their websites for the parts fiche. The exploded diagrams of whatever you need to work-on help you to see what needs replacement. Things like O-rings and gaskets are usually '1-time-use,' meaning, when you disassemble things, you need to use new replacements to ensure that the brake fluid stays in the hydraulic systems for thee front brakes, the rear brakes, and the clutch system. Use DOT 4 fluid for filling them. Brake fluid is harmful to paint finishes, have plenty of clean dry towels (paper towels are ok) and immediately wipe-up any spills, especially on painted surfaces.

A word about parts fiches, some dealers' websites may have better exploded diagrams (sharper pictures, more-clear and easier to understand) in their fiches than others. Compare prices, and I suggest that factory Yamaha parts are the best, especially when it comes to things like the brass bits in your carburetors. Do not buy the ebay 'all four carbs in one kit' sets! They are trouble! As one of our POTUS (President of the United States) wives once-said, 'just say no' to the kits. They don't fit, they are the wrong pieces, and our website has plenty of people who learned the hard-way about this.

That said, there are some aftermarket suppliers which can substitute for the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) parts. K&L is an aftermarket supplier for carburetor pieces and All-Balls has various bits like steering head bearings and seals, and wheel bearings and seals kits. In the end, you can't go wrong with Yamaha factory replacements, though you may pay more.

I'll include some threads and pics to help you understand the things discussed here. A reminder: the factory service manual has an Appendix which contains many useful pages. Routing of the throttle, clutch, and brake hoses is shown. Before you disassemble anything, make sure that you understand the process. I will use masking tape and a fine-point Sharpie pen with permanent ink to label pieces and where things are supposed to go. I use different sized baggies to hold pieces. I use a piece of cardboard to punch holes into for the various side covers for the engine, to insert the machine screws so I don't lose them. You can make a shape of whatever cover you're removing to show which screw goes where, on the cardboard. Refer to the parts fiche when you do this as there may be rubber washers on screws at the bottom of the side cover. If you don't replace the screws with washers in their proper locations, you will have leaks. Take pictures!
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/clutch-slave-cylinder-replacement.45011/

This shows you also how to make a simple, inexpensive reverse-bleed tool for the hydraulics, particularly useful for the clutch. Front and rear brakes also benefit from doing a reverse-flush.

1717165118834.png

That crusty thing with crystallized crud is the clutch slave cylinder, behind the middle side case cover of the engine by the pilot's left footpeg. It has two allen-head screws holding it in place, use a 3/8" allen head socket and a long extension with a ratchet to remove that for cleaning, rebuilding, or replacement.

This is a picture of a SOHC Honda 750-4 front brake, but the crystallized crud is typical of what may await you when you start servicing brakes or the clutch slave cylinder. That stuff was at least 40 years old according to the last registration sticker.

1717165499777.png

1717165014053.png

Print this one out in-color, very useful when chasing gremlins.

Attachments

• 1717166388195.png
    1717166388195.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Here's a good thread on what may be involved in returning a dormant VMax to the mean streets:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/2005-resurrection.53471/

Considerations in carb work, see post #2 for how to disconnect the throttle cables.
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/carb-troubles.53886/#post-539766

More carburetor stuff:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/to-rebuild-or-not-to-rebuild.53701/#post-538277
Some good pics of inside the carbs and commonly replaced gaskets and O-rings. And, very-important, the proper float level setting (post #3) for the carburetors, it's a dry set, meaning, done with the carbs apart. Upon reassembly, the factory service manual has a 'wet-set' check for the carb float level, unfortunately, if that measurement is off-specification, you need to disassemble them again to bend the float tang to correct it.

View attachment 94232
Photo courtesy of dannymax, a member specializing in carburetor rebuilds and parts. His email: [email protected]

Other members offering rebuilds and new/used parts are
Sean Morley, in Derby, KS, USA [email protected] Sean being the guy who offers many parts, and he has built all-sorts of Vmax bikes, and he has parts he's developed for making our bikes better, from oiling kits for the engine, to front brake kits, and pretty-much anything from the front wheel to the back one. He also has OEM-style electrical connectors if you need to replace any.

Kyle/Captainkyle [email protected] in TN, USA

If you don't have an electrical multi-meter, I suggest that you get one, You don't need a $$$ Fluke meter, a less-expensive one should work in most cases. DC volts and ohms for resistance are the scales you will need the most. The alternator/generator puts out ~55 volts on the Alternating Current scale, measuring among all three wires, one pair of wires at a time, and on the other side, going to the battery, something around 14 volts DC Direct Current scale. If you get a reading of 17+ DC volts, the regulator/rectifier (R/R) will boil-off your battery's electrolyte! The MOSFET replacement R/R is a good one. Here is a good resource for things electrical: https://www.easternbeaver.com/ A known point of trouble in the charging system is the three alternator/generator (A/G) wires' plastic male/female connectors. They are along the left frame rail as the alternator/generator is in the left-front side of the engine, behind the case cover. If you follow those wires back towards the seat, along the frame tube, you will find the white plastic connectors. On older bikes, it is not uncommon to find this has discolored to a brown, crumbling piece of plastic. I suggest soldering wires rather than using crimp M-F connectors, as the crimp-style can quickly develop corrosion. Either solder the wires from the alternator/generator to the wires going into the R/R, and use heat-shrink tubing to reduce the possibility of corrosion, or solder M/F connectors individually to the R/R wires from the A/G to the R/R wires, and either use heat-shrink tubing or a good quality (like 3-M) electrical tape to seal the connectors.

That should keep you busy for awhile.

If you decide to drain the coolant and re-fill it, flush it first with fresh water. You can use tap water because the water isn't going to stay in there very long.
When you come to do the final fill, use deionised water, available from Halfords (Wilkinsons sold it cheapest but they've gone bust).

Add anti-freeze. Even if you don't intend to do any winter riding, it contains chemicals to prevent (or more accurately slow down) corrosion.

Guys, thank you - I'm genuinely thankful and Impressed. What a welcome, what a mine of info. Thank you all. Tomorrow is wrench day (spannering for us Brits). Cleared the shed of the other bikes for spanner space. My retired tech meister mate is coming along to drink lots of my coffee and hopefully ensure I don't screw up too much. Oddly, it's not impossible that I might have the right oil filter wrench. My stepson got me a totally random unidentified wrench about ten years ago for christmas which apparently was one of those. Maybe it's the right one. I hope it is. I love it when life's weird like that. Going to get this big beast upright, a new set of boots on her, MOT'd and onward. I can't wait.

Back