how much is this gonna cost me!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
2nd gear slipping in the 97! at first it was at higher rpms 7-8. now its closer to 4-5 and it happens more frequently going uphill under power in second. bike does not slip out of gear but it seem to hiccup for an instant under hard acceleration. i just got the new 09 loaded on the transport in miami heading home to vermont. im just about tapped as far as funds but i need a number to ballpark things. gotta take a cheaper route than the usual trip to the dealer. first time this happened 10 years ago i had them do the entire transmission-paperwork show total cost close to 3500 split evenly between parts and labor!! i know better now and will seek alternate ways to get this done. lookin for best/worst case scenarios to guage how long its gonna take to fix the bike. thanks for any and all help

cheers odieoh24

I just went through this. Lost 2nd gear last year. Put a 13K mile motor in from Craigslist for $650+.......so far so good......cheapest/easiest way I knew of....

PCW is closer to you than Sean. I took my motor to Sean's, bought the trans with overdrive and undercut. It cost about $1600, but I pulled the motor and drove it to Kansas. If you have a dealer do it, it's gonna cost a lot more. I have my old trans parts. It'll need a new 2/3 and 5th gear, but you're welcome to both shafts with gears and whatever other parts I have here. I think shift shaft, some shift forks, shift drum. I've got most of it and I'll never use it. PM me if you're interested and we can work out a price. That way you'll have a core transmission to send out to whoever you have do the work. Or you could go on Ronayers and buy the needed parts and take it with you to the shop. I think the shop labor book says 16 hours or something like that from start to finish with the motor in the bike. It's at least 6 with the motor out-- this is according to the shop that was going to do my work for me.

I just went through this. Lost 2nd gear last year. Put a 13K mile motor in from Craigslist for $650+.......so far so good......cheapest/easiest way I knew of....

I did the same thing, for the same price but it was sourced from ebay. It ran well until I took it to the dyno, most of you are probably familiar w/that story if you read my posts.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno+dilemma

That was after about a dozen tanks of gas. Then I bit the bullet & spent the $$ for it done right w/an undercut transmission. I took my bad engine, stripped the (good) tranny, had it undercut, installed it in the good crank/original engine, had a valve job & clean-up cut on the cyl heads, re-installed it, & found my clutch slipping. PCW extra-disc & OEM friction discs, PCW heavy-duty spring, new gaskets & back-together. Build by Under Pressure, Dania Beach FL. I removed & installed the engine. And, I added COP's, Dyna 3000 box, UFO 4/1, a spare set of fully-kitted DJ Stage 7 carbs I got, I already had switched over to radials this past year.

Ready to go to Daytona Beach Bike Week! This year...

Then the #4 intake cam snapped in-two! Not immediately after the engine work, but after a few tanks. Snapped clean, like a knife, at the edge of the camshaft cap closest to the engine midline. Spare parts from my junk engine got me to Daytona (camshaft & tower cap) & the bike ran great, idled in stop & go traffic & no one from the Saturday Boxenstopp run to Deland Airport would ride next to me, "that UFO!"
But the bike ran great.

Came home, the bike began quitting on me shortly after startup, was a bad pick-up on the crank/stator/rotor system. Another dive into my spare parts, another fix, back on the road & running fine.

Cost? The undercut trannny was $400. I got new shift forks, and a shift drum. The disassembly/reassembly & head work, parts & labor, to get it ready to reinstall in my frame (by me, the back-in-the-frame peon) was another $1300 w/tax. PCW clutch kit w/H-D spring, $165. Dyna 3000 used, ~$200. COPS, ~$160, UFO 4/1, ~$525 shipped, used. DJ Stage 7 carb set, stock carbs off, drop these on, spare stockers on the shelf, $400. You add it up, I'm afraid...

If you are wanting to get anything for it, you might try and find someone near you who can help you do it, and then sell it, or, sell it cheap, the way it is, and keep your $. You should be able to tear it down & get it back together for $700 in parts & some meals/beverages, if you locate a 'kind soul.' It sounds like a bent shift fork/worn drum, or rounded dogs. A used engine is a 'pig in a poke.'

Back