I have an issue, need some help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX1

Reaction score
DONE PRIOR TO PROBLEM:

trapp slipons/6 disks

147.5 mains

2 1/2 out on a/f

adjusted/synch v-boost cable (per manual)

synchd carbs

THE PROBLEM:

bike starts, idles and runs good. After a nice hard run and back too cruising speed when i get after it again it seems like im running on three cylinders. It will clear up after a few minutes of normal riding and let me get back into it again. I dont have this problem everytime but it is getting worse.

I listed the PRE items only because there wasnt an issue before.

Tom

Hi. First, I would run a minimum of 8 discs otherwise it's a bit too restrictive. Second, adjust each mixture screw individually. Turn each in one at a time until seated. Engine idle and tone should drop a bit. Now, slowly turn out until tone recovers. Do the same with other 3 screws. Next thing I would do is check air filter, fuel filter, drain float bowls to check fuel condition, spark plugs and wires. Use multimeter to measure resistance of plug boots to secondary coils. Black lead goes to engine ground.

sounds like your midrange is too fat, loading up while cruising, then has to get cleaned out. My bike does the same thing when I ride around with the wife on back for a while. I agree with no less than 8 disks, 12 or so would be better.

ok guys thanks. I will get more disks and start there, one thing at a time. I have tried adj a/f one at a time not able to hear tone changes, would setting idle high help to hear tone change?

ordered some more trapps, fuel looked good, plugs are new, filter new will check boots, coils and wires after i test with more disks. one thing i did discover yesterday, i took afew HARD blasts and pulled the plugs. They were very white, even the electrodes had white spots on them so im guessing 147.5's are not what i should be running? should i go fatter than stock? could this have anything to do with my problem?

If I'm not mistaken, once you install more discs, you'll fatten up. More air out means more air in. More air in brings more fuel with it. Wait and try it with more diffusers in place.

More flow with these carbs will richen it up due to increased vacuum in the cylinders so a harder pull on the air and fuel.

Sean

Sean, IYO will adding 2 disks to the trapps (currently 6) richen things up? right now with the 147.5 im burning really white and the bike seems to start laying down on me into the tripple digits.

It should get better but you will still want to check it.

Sean

ok heres the deal, added 2 more disks total of 8 each, took it out for some high speed blasts, plugs are still white, no tanning at all, does seem to keep pulling better well into the tripples, not wanting to lay down on me. I attached a pic, dont like the color. comments?

Attachments

• 100_0217.jpg
    100_0217.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 16
they look white but as long as there are no specks showing on them these bikes like lean.

Add the washers and see what it does for that midrange.

Sean

Latest posts

Back