Interesting batteries

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evidently that one is discontinued according to the site, and this is what is suggested: http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX18L1-BS12.html

The cold cranking amps listed is inferior to the ballistic brand battery which I recently bought, installed and posted-about. I paid the same price (actually a bit less, from http://www.compcyclecenter.com/ ) as the Shorai brand and with the Shorai you get 66% of the cold cranking amps of the ballistic!

I'll pass on that "deal!" Thanks for posting-up alternatives though.

It's like bike bandit vs. ronayresmotorsports, until you hear about alternatives, you don't know about the choices.

Awesome, they also offer a slightly less powerful battery (still plenty of cranking power) for a lot less $$

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX14L1-BS12.html

That's a good deal too. I just learned that my local Honda dealer has both brands in stock and have them priced identically to what I have found online. 400 cca is lot of power in such a small, lightweight package for that Ballistic brand battery. For the same money, it's good insurance.

I am gonna check my ballistic prices on Monday no gaurantees but I might be able to get them a little cheaper.

I got my ballistic cheaper than MSRP from my friend's shop but I have been doing business w/him for 30+ years. They usually do knock a bit off their MSRP listings in the Parts Unlimited or Tucker Rocky books.

I got my Race Tech straight rate spring set for <$100 from them last week.

Right now I am out to the carport to try and get the engine in, I checked the "how-to" lists for some tips. Looks like the easy way is to drop the swingarm. I didn't have to remove the VBoost motor to remove it either, something that was recommended.
Once again, thank-you to the members for freely sharing your knowledge to help us all.

Well if my Odyssey ever starts giving me troubles, these look to be the new king for battery tech. A 12lb weight drop would be welcome as well. Though I'm too cheap to replace a battery that's working 100% a-ok.

When you think about how race bikes consider shaving a couple ounces off to be a significant drop, loosing 12lbs with a drop-in replacement seems like a dream come true.

+1 with that.
I'll definetly check when time will come.

I was wondering if a relocation under the pillon seat would be a good idea, less exposed to heat but less air flow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I can sell the Ballistic battery for $ 170 still not cheap but better than the 189 MSRP . My Oddessy is not that old but I might sell it & get one of these since I want the weight savings.

I can sell the Ballistic battery for $ 170 still not cheap but better than the 189 MSRP . My Oddessy is not that old but I might sell it & get one of these since I want the weight savings.

Kyle, dress like Rollie Free! :biglaugh:

You have a good price for the battery, bet someone takes you up on it, maybe many!

C'mon people, he has to feed a 488 cu. inch V-10 in his pickup!

That's "a113ycat's" and "Bonehead's" bike in the back of Kyle's road-pulverizer. Not sure who that is lurking in the background, maybe someone from Asset Protection?

Attachments

• Accord_1315 demo_bike 080.jpg
    Accord_1315 demo_bike 080.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 19
Kyle, dress like Rollie Free! :biglaugh:

You have a good price for the battery, bet someone takes you up on it, maybe many!

C'mon people, he has to feed a 488 cu. inch V-10 in his pickup!

That's "a113ycat's" and "Bonehead's" bike in the back of Kyle's road-pulverizer. Not sure who that is lurking in the background, maybe someone from Asset Protection?
Have to dress more when I hit the track got in trouble last time I was there.

I'll take one Kyle, I'll pm you about it... Told a friend he could take some old car battery's I had in my shop and he mistakenly took my goddamn motorcycle battery too!! :bang head:

That sucks ! Got you one on order & ordered me one to so will have a pretty new oddesy for sale when I get this one.
I was eventually going to buy one anyway to help offset the extra weight I put on the bike this winter (swingarm, Kosman wheel ect) but I just wasn't planning on doing it right now.. This damn thing is nickle and diming me to death now :bang head: Thanks for getting it coming so quick Kyle! :clapping:

I know this is an older thread (3 months old now) but I have to throw my $.02 out there.

The main advantages of a Lithium battery over a traditional lead acid (be it sealed or not) is as follows:

1. most obvious is weight. Much, much lighter than Lead acid.

2. longevity. Traditional lead acid batteries only last realistically 2-3 years, while a lithium battery should last you again realistically 5-6 years. A pretty good reason if you ask me. This also translates into savings if you consider a traditional battery is around $80 (autozone) and needs replacing every 2-3 year.

3. More power. A traditional lead acid battery will decrease in power initially with cranking while a lithium battery will actually increase as it warms up. (to a certain point obviously) Even when cold (I'm in Montana so this is important) a Lithium is going to outperform a Lead acid (if given enough time to warm up under a load)

4. More environmentally friendly with no acid or gas production,. This isn't that big of a deal with me but the pants and shirts that have acid riddled holes all over them would disagree.

other things you may want to consider when getting a Lithium battery is if it's a #' Cell unit or if the unit has been specifically designed with plates. (example being the Ballistic Vs. The Shorai) This is important because celled units aren't really designed to accommodate the outputs required (they may say they are) when they weren't designed for this purpose. A plate unit is specifically fabricated and designed for the purpose and while it may be lower, is going to be more reliable over the long term. Now this is partially conjecture on my part at this point but it's pretty new technology so who's to say if I'm right or wrong.

The FAQ on the Shorai website was pretty informative: http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Another thing you may want to watch is Discovery channels "How it's made" episode on Lithium batteries.

Back