Intermittent screech from motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
This just started while I was out for a ride last night. Pretty randomly(but several times a minute) I hear what could be called a low-pitched screech from the engine case. Sometimes it lasts just an instant, other times as long as a second. The pitch varies a bit too, but doesn't seem to correlate with speed or RPM. I don't feel anything in the bike, just hear it. It also doesn't screech until the engine starts warming up, after riding for a minute or two.

My guess is the starter clutch, which I had to tighten/loc-tite probably 3000 miles ago when it came loose. It starts fine and never "misses" like when it was loose, however now that I think about it there was one strange bit when I was riding last weekend. I went to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. When I hit the starter I got the god-awful "bag of rocks" noise and the engine barely spun. I stopped, put it in neutral, and then it cranked fine. Been fine for like a week(even trying an in gear start again), now I'm getting this screech. Maybe come loose again?

Sounds like it is maybe coming loose again. I would also check the inner steel sleeve in the flywheel. Sometimes they come loose and float around in there.

Sean

Latest posts

Back