Is my vboost control dying and what do I do about it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loghill

Reaction score
I have a 98 gen 1 and I recently cleaned and synced carbs. I have had issues ever since. Idle goes up to 3k after bold gets hot and it seems the reason is the vboost solenoid. It appears to be opening half way and stopping. Once this happens I no longer hear the adjustment noise when I turn the key. When it cools down it goes back to normal. Has anyone ever felt with this? Do I just install t-boost?

Last edited:
Don't understand what the 'bold' is that you refer to.

I can't think why the V Boost (VB) would cause the engine revs to rise as it operates independently from the throttle butterflies.
If you have a problem with VB operating then fitting T Boost won't help as all that does is to open the VB butterflies earlier. No operational VB would mean T Boost wouldn't work either.

No easy solutions here, try wiggling the connector into the VB unit and see if that wakes it up. Doing so would indicate a bad joint in the unit. Sometimes it is obvious where the problem lies after a visual inspection of the VB circuit board and re-making the joint will fix the problem.
Alternative would be to try an known good unit.
It that doesn't sort the problem then you would need to work through associated wiring and check out the servo motor and cables.

I had the same issues, I tried to re-solder the terminals as suggested, I guess this works for many but did not work for me. I still had intermittent function. As long as I pack the wires under the left scoop "just right" it works perfectly until the scoop is again removed. I can at least use it until I swap out to an aftermarket TCI which can be used to control Vboost and a much needed rev limiter.

There is a good thread about re-solder and other fixes but I seem unable to find it atm.

EDIT, I do not have Tboost.

Last edited:
Don't understand what the 'bold' is that you refer to.

I can't think why the V Boost (VB) would cause the engine revs to rise as it operates independently from the throttle butterflies.
If you have a problem with VB operating then fitting T Boost won't help as all that does is to open the VB butterflies earlier. No operational VB would mean T Boost wouldn't work either.

No easy solutions here, try wiggling the connector into the VB unit and see if that wakes it up. Doing so would indicate a bad joint in the unit. Sometimes it is obvious where the problem lies after a visual inspection of the VB circuit board and re-making the joint will fix the problem.
Alternative would be to try an known good unit.
It that doesn't sort the problem then you would need to work through associated wiring and check out the servo motor and cables.
Typo, should be: after bike gets hot

Back