is this just how it is.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
The best my max has ever charged is about 13.50 just above idle.At idle12.80.4000 rpm about 13.20.The bike is a 90 year model with 20000 on the clock.Ive been a car mechanic since hitler was a road guard.I would love to see 14.50 on the voltmeter would a late model R/R do it 'provided everything else is up to snuff.Going to have to replace some connecters soon 'like do do it all over the winter.Hope everyone had a great summer'Thanks for the help

we did the "crimp fix" and also bypassed the rats nest so the R/R goes right to my battery. over 14v every time now

The biggest boost to my 89's charging came from getting rid of all the in line connections and soldering the wires. Cleaning up the power and ground connections also helped... I still have an older R&R in it but have a newer spare. It currently charges a little over 14 volts and the Odyssey holds at 12.9-12.95 for a long time...

BTW: The link above is to a Great Thread....

Good Luck.....

Thank you all more than you know.Would it not be a better move to replace the 20+ year old wiring with a simpler aftermarket harness ,or make your own by following the diagram on(www.ripper1.com) I made my own on a big block s-10 turn signals headlights it all worked. And simplify somewhat. taking care to leave some of the electritcs intact controllers for v boost and the stuff under the left scoop thanks again

Last edited:
Going to try to simple fixes'and see what happens.Still have a little more good weather' if i down it now 'it won;t be back out till spring .Going to have to talk myself into the rewire thing .Make sure it;s what i should do.don;t wan;t to kill a fly with a sledge hammer!!!Thanks again poppop

Im a happy hillbilly. i removed the pass peg unplugged the black and red and the r/r; moved the plastic cover up.Cut the covering off the red wire close as possible to the r/r; wrapped the 12 ga wire around the red ;Taped it up.ran the other end to the batt installed a 25 amp fuse near connection at the batt. 12.5 at idle13.5 at2500.14.20+ at 4000!!!Voltage drops to about 13.8 at 6000.I would not have belived it 'if i hadn't seen it. It has never charged this well;Voltage climbs evenly with rpm ;was spikey and jumpy before.didn;t see any point in cutting the main wire into.The reason i didn;t sauter is im out of sauter.Any way it;s the best it;s ever been;and i can;t thank you guys enough;Thanks for careing;having a heart;That's really what it's all about.

I also hooked up a 8.00 volt meter gauge from Harbor freight and it works great.Now I can check my volts at a glance.

Back