Issues Shifting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner_superhornet

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the VMAX world and new to this forum. Wanted to pick the experts brains about an issue I had this morning. I have a 2009 VMAX. During my morning commute, I started from a stop in first gear, attempted to shift through neutral into 2nd gear, but wasn't able to do so. The clutch felt wierd and wouldn't shift out of neutral into second gear or even back into first. Was able to pull over into parking lot and get her stopped. When I worked the gears again, I was able to get it in first, back out on the road, and home (shifting all the way into fourth). I've noticed an issue recently with the bike stopping in neutral vice continuing to second gear (I'm ensuring that I fully engage the clutch when shifting). I've also noticed that the digital display either blinks or doesn't display the gear I'm in at times (usually fourth gear, but occasionally fifth). Any ideas or suggestions???

Sounds like a clutch (hydraulics) issue....how many miles are on the bike? Do you know if the bike sat a long time before you had it?

How many miles did you put on it before this happened?

You should be able to shift clutchless if you chop the throttle, the 1st o 2nd shift might not work great that way but every other gear should click in easily. That would be a good test for the gearbox.

You may need to do something as simple as adjust the gear shift lever to your shoes.

But, based on your description of having trouble going from neutral to 1st or 2nd, that points to the clutch.

Is has 7336 miles on it. Not sure how long it sat before I bought it, but I’m only the second owner. I’ve put a little over 1000 miles on it since I bought it. Have had the fluids changed once in Nov of last year. I’m not familiar with shift clutchless and chopping the throttle. What do you mean by that? I’ll give it a shot and see what it does.

Back