Jay Gleason returns to the strip??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take is that if he does it won't be on the Max.

If Yamaha gets any big name to roll the bike down the quarter it will be someone like Ricky Gadson or someone else more current and recognizable.

Although I would truly enjoy seeing him return for a trip down the strip on the Max in a really big profile way.

And whoever wrote that article is full of poo-poo about a "law" preventing 1/4 mile times being used for advertisement.

That is as big a myth as the more prevalent and oft heard myth of horsepower being legislated downwards in the early 70's..

...neither ever happened..

sure i just throw what i find out there and see what you all think...

Im all for the new guy promoting the bike but issnt Ricky tied to Kawasaki?

Nice thing about Jay is he is tied to the Vmax in a lot of owners minds.... "hey isnt that the guy who did the legendary run?"

Its a bit like Clint Eastwood returning to that town in Fist full Of Dollars.... the aging gun fighter etc etc

Jay apparently is still pretty good....you could also win here by saying "shit the bikes is so good even an old dude can make it 8.99" or something like that...

Best would be to put Rickey and Jay together for an add.....both sitting on the strip wall talking old days and bench racing shit and then both take turns on the yamaha trying to out do each other...... Christ that gave me goosebumps

The way I remember it, he made record breaking times on a 1985 Vmax. And as I recall, without doing any googling for records, I thought his best was around 10.28 seconds (+ or - 1/100th sec) @ about 121mph.

How close is my memory? Anyone still have the ads lying around? I could probably dig up my old copy of Cycleworld mag when it featured the Vmax, if I could find the time.

The best stated quarter mile for the original Max as advertised by Yamaha was 10.33 @ 129.87 with Pee Wee at the helm. This however was accomplised on a 'factory tuned' bike. Cycle World did an interesting article back then about how fast the Max really was. With a true production bike the best they could do was 10.44 @ 126.05. This was with a 6 inch slick, wheelie bars, solid struts and with Dale Walker riding. Bone stock the best was 10.64 @ 128.57. This article and others from back in the day can be found at http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

I think that it would be a cool nostalgic touch to have Pee Wee ride the 'new' Max for Yamaha.

The best time on a stock motor[kerker pipe ,kosman wheels and slicks with wheelie bar] with Pee Wee riding was a 9.69et on a 86. CycleWorld 1987

sure i just throw what i find out there and see what you all think...

Im all for the new guy promoting the bike but issnt Ricky tied to Kawasaki?

Nice thing about Jay is he is tied to the Vmax in a lot of owners minds.... "hey isnt that the guy who did the legendary run?"

Its a bit like Clint Eastwood returning to that town in Fist full Of Dollars.... the aging gun fighter etc etc

Jay apparently is still pretty good....you could also win here by saying "shit the bikes is so good even an old dude can make it 8.99" or something like that...

Best would be to put Rickey and Jay together for an add.....both sitting on the strip wall talking old days and bench racing shit and then both take turns on the yamaha trying to out do each other...... Christ that gave me goosebumps

Christ that gives me goosebumps also.......

I like you Clint Eastwood analogy as well......if someone high profile is gonna do this maybe it really should be someone the legacy max owners tie in to, I was just coming from a POV of thinking they wanted to attract a new generation if riders who may have never even heard of a Max until now....

I forgot about Ricky Gadsons tie to a MFGR, probably right on that too...

mentioning eastwood remember when the first motorcyclist full test came out on the original vmax . it had a eastwood lookalike on the bike racing a highboy with a blower [i think]. had a quote like " i know what your thinking did he shift down 3 times or 4, well punk it doesnt matter beins this is the most powerful motorcycle ever made... " it was awesome:biglaugh: my friend still has the article and the centerfold advertisement for the max also!!:clapping:

i think you could attract new buyers with old talent.... legends are what build brands and the v max brand is pretty good.....

In the end this can just be a street fighter deal it has to hit the track in an organized fashion..... im kinda shocked that new ama street class limits one to 1400cc......i would have expected many to lobby against that one.....

Back