K&N and SuperTrapp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmax1

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, quick question for you. First here's my setup:

SuperTrapp exhaust
Nology plug wires with non resistor plugs

The bike runs great as it is now but I was wondering what change I would have to make to my carbs when adding new air filters? I purchased (4) K&N pods to replace my stock air box and filter. I had a local bike shop "attempt" to install these but had no luck getting the bike to run right even after playing with the jetting of the carbs. They eventually told me that it will cost me a fortune if they keep on trying to get it right so I best give up now. Does anybody else have this similar setup and can help me figure out my carb setup? I spent all this money on pods and they've just been sitting in their box for almost 2 years now!! I was always told to jump on a Vmax forum and start asking, so here I am!! Please Help and thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the Forum!

Yeah, the filter pods don't work the best with stock headers. It will indeed take some tuning time if you want to use stock headers/supertrapps. One change that's absolutely necessary in using the pods with your setup is the air correctors. These are press-in jets that fit into the main air jet on the top of each carb. These are normally included with the DJ stage 7 kit. Other than that, not sure. You can be sure that the main will probably have to be bumped up a size and since the stock needles aren't adjustable you may have to shim them. Another option is to find a set of stage 1 or 7 adjustable needles.

to bad you didnt put the trapps on and leave the air box alone its not to late everything to lose and nothing to gain

The airbox and stock filter are still intact, it's just that I would really like to utilize the pods, especially since I have paid for them and can't return them! I was hoping it wouldn't be a big job but when isn't it a big job, LOL!

Without the air correctors (Dynojet part #DCO402) you will be forever trying, and probably not succeeding, tuning the bike. CV carbs were purpose built to run with an airbox. They need a certain level of vacuum at the inlet to function properly, and it needs to be relatively the same across all 4 carbs. To make big torque and good hp you need to install a purpose designed jet kit, ie Sean Morley's muscle kit or a Stage 7 kit, otherwise reinstall the stock airbox and go out and ride.

Thanks for the info guys! Any recommendations where to purchase these items, a place you have dealt with and trust? Thanks again!

Hey guys and gals, quick question for you. First here's my setup:

SuperTrapp exhaust
Nology plug wires with non resistor plugs

The bike runs great as it is now but I was wondering what change I would have to make to my carbs when adding new air filters? I purchased (4) K&N pods to replace my stock air box and filter. I had a local bike shop "attempt" to install these but had no luck getting the bike to run right even after playing with the jetting of the carbs. They eventually told me that it will cost me a fortune if they keep on trying to get it right so I best give up now. Does anybody else have this similar setup and can help me figure out my carb setup? I spent all this money on pods and they've just been sitting in their box for almost 2 years now!! I was always told to jump on a Vmax forum and start asking, so here I am!! Please Help and thanks in advance!!

What kind of pods? K&N or the other kind that like to catch on fire?

If they are not K&N's I would sell them on ebay.

Latest posts

Back