Kaoko throttle lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pricey....but I bought the Brake-away throttle lock. Got one on the Gen 1, Gen 2, and my buddy's Vulcan.

What is nice about these....if you have em set up right, you dont have to remember to unlock the throttle. When you pull the front brake, they automatically disengage. Took me about 30 minutes to install and set up per bike.
0510211944f.jpg

The gen 1.

Just curious
To each their own, I just can’t get putting a throttle lock on a VMAX to me it would be the a no go
I get it for cruising sort of for cars fine on a motorcycle makes me really wiggy
I guess I just need the feedback
When canyon carving, I agree completely. My first ride of the year is coming in two weeks. I have 380 miles of highway driving to get to the site in the mountains of West Virginia. My right hand is already in pain thinking about it.

I have been trying to get MC Cruise in Australia to make a full electronic cruise control for the Gen2 along with @Jim Bitolas and @El Canadiense . The price point is going to be higher by a long way. I expect around $750. But to get to a ride that is more than one tank of gas away, it will be a god send.

Last edited:
Just curious
To each their own, I just can’t get putting a throttle lock on a VMAX to me it would be the a no go
I get it for cruising sort of for cars fine on a motorcycle makes me really wiggy
I guess I just need the feedback
I have 5500 miles on my 2020 Vmax. All of my riding occurs out in the country in the many farms and farm roads (paved only). In Florida there are about 2-3 turns in Florida. The rest is totally straight roads on and on. While this allows lots of high speed riding I would prefer tail of the dragon type roads but they do not exist here. One road I drive a lot is almost completely straight for over 50 miles with only two cross roads and maybe 5 driveways with total wilderness on both sides. To give you an idea how huge this wilderness is there are Bear yes Bear crossing signs!! And many deer crossing and equestrian signs. No cruise control equals no riding for me. Yesterday I held fifth gear wide open and saw 148 on speedo-it just took a long time to get to 148 from 147 so computer does close throttle bodies to way less than full even if the twist grip is held wide full open. I have been riding for 53 years and I am in Road Rider magazine 1971 when they asked me to give owners review on the Honda CB 750 four. I have had motorcycle shop and owned 17 bikes.

50 miles of straight road in Florida? Dont you cross the entire state in 50 miles? LOL. Kidding. Almost like NM....Except I can do 100+mph on my roads run out of gas and be miles from no where. In NM, we have counties bigger than states. Cause I have miles of empty road to ride, throttle locks are a godsend.

As for opinions on bar end units...I have none. My first throttle lock was on my Virago and was a Vista Cruise. The ones I use now are Brake-Away locks. All thumb operated units. For a bar end unit, I understand how it works, but dont really see how user friendly it is activating and de-activating it. Rotating a unit thats on another rotating part seems a tad sketchy to me especially on a machine thats as twitchy as your wrist, LOL. But someone else said it....to each his own. To each his own style. In the end, get what feels right for you and your budget.

My Gen 2 is ready for cross country use for 2 up. If I really wanted to. Got the front riding pegs. Got the passenger relocation pegs. Got a built back rest. Throttle lock to ease up on the wrist. Bucket has Bluetooth so I can listen to music. When I want to place race games, its just a matter of removing the rear back rest and flipping in the pegs and I am all business.

One road I drive a lot is almost completely straight for over 50 miles with only two cross roads and maybe 5 driveways with total wilderness on both sides. To give you an idea how huge this wilderness is there are Bear yes Bear crossing signs!! And many deer crossing and equestrian signs. Yesterday I held fifth gear wide open and saw 148 on speedo.
Oh dear, hitting at a critter at 150 does not bear thinking about.

(3 animal references, can you spot them)

Oh dear, hitting at a critter at 150 does not bear thinking about.

(3 animal references, can you spot them)
I have hit raccoons possums and I couldn’t make out what several others were at normal highway speeds when there was just no way to avoid them. Each time I thought there would be a severe shock or damage and nothing was felt at the handlebars and little to no debris was found. Lucky not to have ever hit a deer or any larger animal but have had to avoid them-not often though in 53 years of riding. I have lived in NYC and rode back and forth to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach Florida. Also lived and rode in south Florida and Redondo Beach California. Zero accidents so far. That includes years of absolutely all-out street racing in the NYC area. That is how I got the invite to Road Rider magazine owners review of the Honda CB750 four. Mine was rebuilt as a cafe racer over bored to 810cc with Ceriani forks and all metal body work replaced with fiberglass to reduce weight. I took on many Norton 850 Dominators and Kawasaki z-1’s. Did not lose very often. And did not run over any animals during that lucky run of over two years (some tickets though).

In Florida there are about 2-3 turns in Florida. The rest is totally straight roads on and on. While this allows lots of high speed riding I would prefer tail of the dragon type roads but they do not exist here.

Tail of the Alligator: 318 miles, 11 turns.

I've hit a deer, squirrels, chipmunks, and at least 2 birds. I was thinking I need to start putting animal stickers on my fenders like the WWII fighter planes. Maybe that would scare the critters away.

I'm on the fence.

Of course I'd never use it on my short rides, but the ride to Charleston, South Carolina is roughly 340 miles of interstate with a 70 mph speed limit.

I can't help but think it would make life a whole lot easier on that particular ride.

I just ordered the Gen2 version.
It will have to suffice until I can get a real cruise control.
Tail of the Alligator: 318 miles, 11 turns.

I've hit a deer, squirrels, chipmunks, and at least 2 birds. I was thinking I need to start putting animal stickers on my fenders like the WWII fighter planes. Maybe that would scare the critters away.
A deer?

I hit a deer once. However I was in a 1961 Cadillac. Lots of steel. I mean LOTS of steel. I had fender damage and the deer was hamburger.

What happened to the bike? Did you stay upright?

I had a Kaoko on my 16 here in Tulsa, OK. I tried it several times in getting to good riding spots outside of Tulsa that I frequent. Even though Kaoko, VistaCruise, GoCruise 2 and etc. can be a good tool to give the hand, wrist, elbow and up a break. I have a spot In my right trapezius muscle that will go numb and then start to burn if my hand is steadily on the throttle in one position for over about fifty miles. I don't have to worry about in the Tulsa and outlying areas because of elevation changes, stop and start, then finally good turns and backroads once I get about 40 miles out. I am from Delaware originally and lived in Florida for six years so I know what it's like to run on flat surfaces for any amount of time or miles. The Vmax throttle is very touchy and to me you would need a type of electronic cruise in order to not have to keep from adjusting when the roads conditions change. Just my opinion. :cool:

I just ordered the Gen2 version.
It will have to suffice until I can get a real cruise control.

A deer?

I hit a deer once. However I was in a 1961 Cadillac. Lots of steel. I mean LOTS of steel. I had fender damage and the deer was hamburger.

What happened to the bike? Did you stay upright?

I came around a curve at 50 mph and the deer was in my path. In the short time available, I decided not to swerve because I would hit it off balance. I just braked hard, and tightened my grip in the bars, and kept my line. I hit it just forward of the hind quarters. It killed the deer, but I stayed upright and there was no damage to the bike - just blood and fur. I was afraid I was going to go over the handlebars, but instead it was more hitting a BIG bump.

I'm on the fence.

Of course I'd never use it on my short rides, but the ride to Charleston, South Carolina is roughly 340 miles of interstate with a 70 mph speed limit.

I can't help but think it would make life a whole lot easier on that particular ride.
You are not required to use the cruise control just because it is installed- like the horn you use it when needed or you want to. Not installing or installing who cares?

Back