Kaoko throttle lock

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came around a curve at 50 mph and the deer was in my path. In the short time available, I decided not to swerve because I would hit it off balance. I just braked hard, and tightened my grip in the bars, and kept my line. I hit it just forward of the hind quarters. It killed the deer, but I stayed upright and there was no damage to the bike - just blood and fur. I was afraid I was going to go over the handlebars, but instead it was more hitting a BIG bump.
I use a deer whistle or similar available at Aerostich Revzilla and others. It is wind powered and must work-in 53 years of riding I have only had to brake or swerve to miss a deer less than five times. I rarely ride at night in the country in extremely dark conditions.

I had a Kaoko on my 16 here in Tulsa, OK. I tried it several times in getting to good riding spots outside of Tulsa that I frequent. Even though Kaoko, VistaCruise, GoCruise 2 and etc. can be a good tool to give the hand, wrist, elbow and up a break. I have a spot In my right trapezius muscle that will go numb and then start to burn if my hand is steadily on the throttle in one position for over about fifty miles. I don't have to worry about in the Tulsa and outlying areas because of elevation changes, stop and start, then finally good turns and backroads once I get about 40 miles out. I am from Delaware originally and lived in Florida for six years so I know what it's like to run on flat surfaces for any amount of time or miles. The Vmax throttle is very touchy and to me you would need a type of electronic cruise in order to not have to keep from adjusting when the roads conditions change. Just my opinion. :cool:
I will get the electronic when it is available. I would like to get to Daytona one year. Down to the Dragon. Doubt I would do Sturgis, but perhaps I lose my mind and do go. Regardless, 1000 miles one way begs for the right tool.

I had a Kaoko on my 16 here in Tulsa, OK. I tried it several times in getting to good riding spots outside of Tulsa that I frequent. Even though Kaoko, VistaCruise, GoCruise 2 and etc. can be a good tool to give the hand, wrist, elbow and up a break. I have a spot In my right trapezius muscle that will go numb and then start to burn if my hand is steadily on the throttle in one position for over about fifty miles. I don't have to worry about in the Tulsa and outlying areas because of elevation changes, stop and start, then finally good turns and backroads once I get about 40 miles out. I am from Delaware originally and lived in Florida for six years so I know what it's like to run on flat surfaces for any amount of time or miles. The Vmax throttle is very touchy and to me you would need a type of electronic cruise in order to not have to keep from adjusting when the roads conditions change. Just my opinion. :cool:
There will never be electronic cruise control for the Vmax 1700 as it is not totally ride by wire. I have friction handle bar mounted cruise controls that are not Kaoko and they work great on my Suzuki GSX-S1000 and Honda VTX1300. I would not ride without them. I will say if you are not mechanically astute they cannot be made to work in five minutes. I have invested at least two hours on each bike to get them to work where they are a positive pleasure and not a pain in the butt. My Vmax 1700 throttle is nowhere near as touchy as my Suzuki so I consider it to be very smooth and progressive no problem at all. Good luck with your Vmax!

Just ordered a kaoko throttle lock today as well, very pricey to me but looks to be a good product. I have the highway pegs and I’m very comfortable except for my right hand gets tingly, hopefully this will solve the issue. I think my Vmax has a very touchy throttle after the gurued mod, along with the DD clutch mod and I’m sure it can make me look like a fool without the throttle lock anyway. I figure if I don’t like it I either won’t use it or take it off and sell it to another member for a deal.

Just ordered a kaoko throttle lock today as well, very pricey to me but looks to be a good product. I have the highway pegs and I’m very comfortable except for my right hand gets tingly, hopefully this will solve the issue. I think my Vmax has a very touchy throttle after the gurued mod, along with the DD clutch mod and I’m sure it can make me look like a fool without the throttle lock anyway. I figure if I don’t like it I either won’t use it or take it off and sell it to another member for a deal.
I ordered from Revzilla. There were only two in stock. Did you get the second one?

I have the Kaoko on my '14 and like it for the long expressway rides when going from destination to destination. When on the twisties I don't use it, but nice to get a break once in a while.

I have a cosmetic issue.

The Kaoko is installed and it has a chrome / silver finish. The other end is the OEM black. I can get the Kaoko sprayed / powder coated or something to match. That screams to me that it will look terrible, flake and so forth. The better option is probably to replace the other side with chrome. Partzilla list it as 2S3-26246-10-00.

https://www.partzilla.com/search?q=...ment=f99d173302866dc62af99bd9b2cafe5254b04347
Of course no color is listed. I cannot get anybody on the phone at the moment, which is no surprise today.

Anybody got some insight into how Yamaha builds the part number? Does it tell us the color

Attachments

• BarEnds.MOV
    22.9 MB
Pricey....but I bought the Brake-away throttle lock. Got one on the Gen 1, Gen 2, and my buddy's Vulcan.

What is nice about these....if you have em set up right, you dont have to remember to unlock the throttle. When you pull the front brake, they automatically disengage. Took me about 30 minutes to install and set up per bike.
View attachment 83800

The gen 1.
Do you know if these will work with heated grips?

Do you know if these will work with heated grips?

If you contact the company, they will tell you that this throttle lock wont even work for the Gen 1. However, during my correspondence with the company, they told me that 7CP04 is similar to the 5CP02 that was used prior to discontinuation. Now when I purchased my throttle locks, I purchased 3 at once. 1 for the gen 1, one for the Gen 2 and 1 for my buddys Vulcan. When I bought these, 2 of the kits were nearly identical. The only difference was the hole in which the throttle went through. One was bigger and one was smaller. Now my Gen 1 has the stock hand grips. This required the smaller hole. My buddys Vulcan has aftermarket non heated grips and required the larger hole. Now I do not remember which kit went on which bike nor what kit was for each bike. I know that with one of these two kits....you should be able to find one that will work with your heated grips.

The 7CP04 and the 7CP05 are nearly identical in the way of the kit and under brake lever bracket set up. Differences as you know are the size of the hand grip hole.

When you order the kit, there are plastic pieces and or rubber strips to allow for a tight seamless grip on the unit. Tools are included to do the install as well.

If you contact the company, they will tell you that this throttle lock wont even work for the Gen 1. However, during my correspondence with the company, they told me that 7CP04 is similar to the 5CP02 that was used prior to discontinuation. Now when I purchased my throttle locks, I purchased 3 at once. 1 for the gen 1, one for the Gen 2 and 1 for my buddys Vulcan. When I bought these, 2 of the kits were nearly identical. The only difference was the hole in which the throttle went through. One was bigger and one was smaller. Now my Gen 1 has the stock hand grips. This required the smaller hole. My buddys Vulcan has aftermarket non heated grips and required the larger hole. Now I do not remember which kit went on which bike nor what kit was for each bike. I know that with one of these two kits....you should be able to find one that will work with your heated grips.

The 7CP04 and the 7CP05 are nearly identical in the way of the kit and under brake lever bracket set up. Differences as you know are the size of the hand grip hole.

When you order the kit, there are plastic pieces and or rubber strips to allow for a tight seamless grip on the unit. Tools are included to do the install as well.
I appreciate the info. Sorry for the late reply but I didn't notice it until just now. I think I was expecting an email notification or something and didn't see it in the daily email thread!

Back