Less MPG, and oil in airbox

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjackdavie

Reaction score
I've a 2006 V-max. Bought it new. Before 1st service, i would get about 200-230 on a full tank. 3.4g. so i was getting about 45-50 MPS. After its first service, I've noticed my fuel economy take a nose dive. I get about 110 miles to a full tank. 35 mpg. . .

Okay, i didn't by a turbo bike for its fuel efficiency lol. but such a severe drop in MPG? and everyone i know with a bike says MPG goes up about 5 mpg on average after first service.

So, i figure. might be the filter needs cleaning or replacing, when i pull off the air box cover and take a look inside. I've got oil in my air box. not a lot, but it's coated the entire bottom of the air box.

It's not like the gas foam people say is normal, it's oil. smells like it, feels like it, looks like it.

I don't know these guys at the dealership, and I don't trust them just because they are factory authorized. . . blah blah . . . Is this normal? 100 miles per full tank? and oil in the airbox?

Bike is still under warranty, I don't want to get ripped off on it.

what to do?

average economy for a stock vmax is 35-40. A properly setup jet kit and header will still get that. only 4 gal bike so I don't see how you would ever get much more then 160 miles out of it with it bone dry. My 05 turns on the reserve light right at 3.0 gallons instead of the 3.2 that the manual states. Still nothing to worry about on my end.

Sean

I've a 2006 V-max. Bought it new. Before 1st service, i would get about 200-230 on a full tank. 3.4g. so i was getting about 45-50 MPS. After its first service, I've noticed my fuel economy take a nose dive. I get about 110 miles to a full tank. 35 mpg. . .

Okay, i didn't by a turbo bike for its fuel efficiency lol. but such a severe drop in MPG? and everyone i know with a bike says MPG goes up about 5 mpg on average after first service.

So, i figure. might be the filter needs cleaning or replacing, when i pull off the air box cover and take a look inside. I've got oil in my air box. not a lot, but it's coated the entire bottom of the air box.

It's not like the gas foam people say is normal, it's oil. smells like it, feels like it, looks like it.

I don't know these guys at the dealership, and I don't trust them just because they are factory authorized. . . blah blah . . . Is this normal? 100 miles per full tank? and oil in the airbox?

Bike is still under warranty, I don't want to get ripped off on it.

what to do?

If there's a lot of oil in the air box then there's too much oil in the crank case. Make sure the level is in between the low and high marks.

i get like 30 per gallon, but then again i use the power it has.:eusa_dance:

Wonder what I would get if I kept it under 3 digits for a tankful.:ummm:

I think your calculations were off in the beginning.
The tank holds 4.0 gallons not 3.2.
My 06 got 108 miles before the reserve light came on.
2 years later I'm getting about 118-120 before the light comes on depending on how much I crank on the throttle. If I do a lot of highway miles on a tank I get about 128 before the fuel light comes on.
I'm basically getting between 38-42 mpg depending on those conditions.
I would run a couple of tanks with 1/4 of a can of sea foam in it. Then sync your carbs and replace your spark plugs if you haven't already.
You should feel a difference. Oil changes every 3000 makes a difference too, in my opinion.

Good luck!
And Welcome to the VMF!

I agree, sounds like too much oil in the crank.

Which may well affect economy.
I know my mate's '01 Speed Triple has reduced power in the top end (noticably) if the oil is overfilled (which the dealership always does in this case).
Perhaps worth looking at?

Which may well affect economy.
I know my mate's '01 Speed Triple has reduced power in the top end (noticably) if the oil is overfilled (which the dealership always does in this case).
Perhaps worth looking at?
you may be on to something bike started pulling harder on the top end i figured just normal breakin ...but i also filled between the marks on the sight glass,,instead of the 4.2 quarts they say to add :confused2:

:ummm: I am cornfused again.....

200-230 on a full tank= 4.0 gal
4/200= 50MPG
4/230=57.5
Quotes "so i was getting about 45-50 MPS"

"I get about 110 miles to a full tank. 35 mpg". . .
4/110= 27.5 MPG

:ummm:

I dont know but I get about 73 miles and led blinks!!
3/73= 24.3 MPG
which equals 98 miles and I am walking to the next gas station.

I think your confused with checking gas mileage. All over the board man.

Fill your take
Set your trip odemeter to 0
ride till your fuel light blinks
goto the gas station fill it up.
Take the amount of gallons and divide it into the mileage on your trip odometer.

Check your oil level.
Place the bike on a level ground.
Get on the left side of the bike
Tilt the bike off its kick stand to where its level
Look at your site glass.
Oil level should be no more higher than 3/4 in the site glass.

:ummm: I am cornfused again.....

200-230 on a full tank= 4.0 gal
4/200= 50MPG
4/230=57.5
Quotes "so i was getting about 45-50 MPS"

"I get about 110 miles to a full tank. 35 mpg". . .
4/110= 27.5 MPG

:ummm:

I dont know but I get about 73 miles and led blinks!!
3/73= 24.3 MPG
which equals 98 miles and I am walking to the next gas station.

I think your confused with checking gas mileage. All over the board man.

Fill your take
Set your trip odemeter to 0
ride till your fuel light blinks
goto the gas station fill it up.
Take the amount of gallons and divide it into the mileage on your trip odometer.

Check your oil level.
Place the bike on a level ground.
Get on the left side of the bike
Tilt the bike off its kick stand to where its level
Look at your site glass.
Oil level should be no more higher than 3/4 in the site glass.

I was told by a few ppl on here that its okay to be a little full on the oil level. Bcuz when the bike is at WOT it will pull all of the oil out of the pan, also helps keep the oil light from coming on during hard acceleration. I know my 06 GTO show Full with 6 qts but the manual says 6.5qts. For the same reason of sucking all of the oil to the top of the engine at WOT!

I agree with Lankee... His numbers are skewed... :confused2:

I got 43mpg by myself and 35 with my G/F on the back which I am very happy with.

I got 31-33 before the Morley kit.:worthy:

Back