Liter bike theft?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I've read a few articles about this being a big problem, especially around the bay area. I'm fortunate enough to be in South Dakota and not CA, but I have come across a few articles that indicate they are a common theft item all over the US. I've never heard this before but I figure there are other liter bike owners here. I just picked up a pristine 09 GSXR1000. Should I really be worried about parking it to go into a store or coffee shop? It will live inside when not ridden so not worried about it at home. Normally when I park my bike somewhere I keep it close to my line of sight or where I can see it through a window.

I'll put full coverage on it (ouch) when the snow melts and I get to ride it for the first time. Aside from proper insurance is there really anything else I should consider?

I'm in HD country and it's not easy to steal a 1000 lb parade float with 40 lbs of chrome and leather, but I reckon a couple strong dudes with a van could make short work of a 440 lb bike with a disc lock. Should I worry or do something more than what I'm already going to do?

What say you guys?

I have a disc lock with a motion sensor/ audible alarm. Slightest movement sets it off. A harley trike parked next to me once and the exhaust set it off. I know its not fool proof but it will bring attention if anyone messes with my bike. Just a little more piece of mind. Now you got me thinkin.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spot...&mrkgadid=3280891061&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Product%2520Type-_-15149297&product_id=15149297&creative=108421552444&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Ly7sb6Q5gIVjp-fCh04qQmPEAQYGSABEgILCvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I have a disc lock with a motion sensor/ audible alarm. Slightest movement sets it off.

That sounds like a pretty darn good idea. I'll do that at the very least. Thanks for the link.

use a cheap bike to go to the store
I have a 1st gen MKII Venture which may have more cargo space as a Squareback haha. It would probably be harder to lift into a truck than a Honda Civic.

I suspect it will be little more than an overpowered hills bike that tortures my aging bones, but no ride in the hills would be complete without a coffee stop and a buffalo burger. Apparently in some localities that would be time enough to loose one. This will probably get traded in after a season or two, I've been eyeballing one of those big K bikes for a couple years now.

I've got that one bookmarked. Looks good. Cool that I don't have to let it go with the liter bike when the time comes to send her along.

Thanks!

Back