Low fuel warning light not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim.chandler

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2001 Vmax, it's quite high mileage(102,000) but very well looked after and regularly serviced, the only problem is the low fuel light doesn't work, the fella told me about it, and said he just reset his trip, and filled up every 100 miles, was wondering if its a straight forward job to fix/change the sender?

The sender is only a 2-screw (plus the screw for the electrical landing) piece, but getting to it is what's time-consuming. The OEM muffler/resonator is in the way. I have a 4/1, so that's a real piece of cake to remove the sender, as it's exposed. It might be a place where you could swap-out the Phillips screws for a pair of allen-heads.

Does the bulb light up when you start the bike? No = blown bulb or fault in the circuit.

The sensor should have a value of between 700 and 1100 ohms at 20 C.
If that is OK check the green wire between the loom side of the warning light sensor and the bulb holder and the black wire for continuity to earth.
Also check the green wire for continuity to the fuel pump relay connector
One other thing that can cause the 'reserve' to stop working is if the bulb has been replaced with a LED and a suitable ballast resistor not installed.

Back