Make sure i'm on the right track

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulibiker

Reaction score
After reading many many threads, I believe I need to change my main jets to 147.5 and shim my needles.

I have a 06 with 1200 miles, stock with the exception of a Marks 4-2 system and it runs ok. It does have a little bit of surging at around 3000-3500 RPM and feels a little flat on top. The Marks system did make it a lot stronger in the 4500 to 5500 RPM range.

I'm just below 1000 foot elevation(Des Moines, Iowa). From what I have read, I'm running rich and 147.5 jets make a noticeable difference.

I hate to open a can of worms.................but what should I do with the Y on the airbox?

I welcome any suggestions as you guys have "been there done that".

I would give up a little bit of HP for throttle response and "snap".

Anybody out there at around 1000 foot with some settings that work well?

THANKS Paul

BTW I have a Carbtune that anybody in the area is more than welcome to use.

After reading many many threads, I believe I need to change my main jets to 147.5 and shim my needles.

I have a 06 with 1200 miles, stock with the exception of a Marks 4-2 system and it runs ok. It does have a little bit of surging at around 3000-3500 RPM and feels a little flat on top. The Marks system did make it a lot stronger in the 4500 to 5500 RPM range.

I'm just below 1000 foot elevation(Des Moines, Iowa). From what I have read, I'm running rich and 147.5 jets make a noticeable difference.

I hate to open a can of worms.................but what should I do with the Y on the airbox?

I welcome any suggestions as you guys have "been there done that".

I would give up a little bit of HP for throttle response and "snap".

Anybody out there at around 1000 foot with some settings that work well?

THANKS Paul

BTW I have a Carbtune that anybody in the area is more than welcome to use.

I'm at 440ft. I'm running :
  • Kerker 4-2-1 Carbon muff cut to 13"
  • Needles shimmed
  • "Y" shimmed to about 1/4"
  • 150 mains
  • A/F screws vary 2-3/4 to 3-1/4
Works for me, Pulls strong all the way through the range.

Hey Paul, I live in Washington, IA and I'll have to check my mains to see what I have, but I also have Morley's Carb Kit so I'm not sure if that will help you much. I'm sure you know this, but try changing one thing at a time, maybe needles first since that is easy and should fix the 3k surging. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout 3I9-46I-8969. Hopefully in the spring/summer we can meet up and go on a few rides.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back