Missing 4th and 5th gear - Please Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a 1997 V-max with only 9000 miles on her. She wont go into 4th or 5 gear. Is seems as though the highest gear she will go into is 3rd. It holds fine in 3rd but when i try and shift, it just doesnt engage 4th or 5th.

I bled the clutch and changed the oil but it still wont get into those two gears. I hoping for the best but expect the worst.

What do you think the problem is?
The bike was stored in my garage for almost four years before i took her out of hiding last year and did the normal routine. She ran great until now. Please help.

Thanks
Extremevmax

I'm guessing gear selector segment drum or shift fork.

I know it's really time consuming but just browse through the posts in the transmission section here and maybe it'll help you figure it out, there's some pretty detailed posts with pictures in here showing these two items.

Rusty

I definitely sounds like the shift drum segment as Rusty said - need to remove clutch basket cover and clutch basket itself to get to it - make sure you buy an updated segment - part# after 1999 models.

Mike

Is there a manual on how to do it or a write up, I have never done this before. I will definately order the parts this week. Has anyone that lives in NJ done this before. I could not tell from the pictures online what is actually wrong with the segment.:ummm:

Thanks
Vince

Is there a manual on how to do it or a write up, I have never done this before. I will definately order the parts this week. Has anyone that lives in NJ done this before. I could not tell from the pictures online what is actually wrong with the segment.:ummm:

Thanks
Vince

Vince, there a bunch of threads here to help you out - you can also download the service manual vmaxoutlaw - check out VMF & FAQ links icon above.

Mike

Back