My '85 VIN...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427FE

Reaction score
been meaning to post my '85 VIN to see where it may fall in the '85 production.

The last 6 digits are 000441

Thanks

Which makes it #341 in production, as they began at #101. Good on 'ya for keeping it going.

Which makes it #341 in production, as they began at #101. Good on 'ya for keeping it going.
Thanks FM! I've seen you reference around 8800 produced - U.S. That averages out to 176 per state. That seems to be a real high number.... ?

Thanks FM! I've seen you reference around 8800 produced - U.S. That averages out to 176 per state. That seems to be a real high number.... ?
Recall it was 'the hot bike' that year. They sold over five times what they expected to.

As to bikes per state, places w/low populations & short riding seasons won't sell as many as Sun Belt states with top-15 in population rankings or someplace like MI which has high sales for things like bikes, boats, and trailers. Dealers buy what sells. And where it sells.

Also recall in the USA market there was no '1987' VMax. Left-over '85 & '86 models filled the demand and as they got scarce, the market was primed for the 1988's. The other manufacturers also didn't bother trying to contest things: bye-bye Madura, Sabre/Magna, Eliminator.

That's her now

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_110251.jpg
    IMG_20230617_110251.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 1
Are those 4-4's branded, "Cobra?" Asking for a friend. 😂

The bike is lookin' good now. It didn't look too bad to begin with from that pic. Does it have the little red maple leaf on the steering head?

The bike is lookin' good now. It didn't look too bad to begin with from that pic. Does it have the little red maple leaf on the steering head?
Need a decent 4-1 if you know of anyone.

Maple leaf flags were also on the right side lower frame just in front of the riders footpeg bracket.

Nice! I have #696 85. I believe mine was US made and it's the beginning of the VIN the letters you can tell where it was made. I will try to find the post again that explains it.
1689881284977.png

We know what you mean when you say " ...mine was US made... ." as meaning to say, "made for the USA market." The only USA Japanese manufacturers who have had plants here of which I know are Kawasaki and Honda.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the maple leaf badge, from an earlier thread where I posted it.

1689943628901.png

Please state condition stock or modified, runner, project, or parts bike, country of origin.
Country of origin - U.S. , runner, just under 20k miles, see my signature line for bike description. Other upgrades will be done, but it will retain the stock look primarily a "Day 2" look as they say in the muscle car world.

There is a list of 85's by serial number on page #26, post #511 of this thread. It may well be the most complete listing of 85 Vmax's in existence. If you want your bike on this list post your serial number, briefly state condition, stock or modified, runner or project, country of origin and I'll enter it on the list.

Back