Never seen this before...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost

Reaction score
Just pulled the needle on one of my carbs to see where the clip position was set due to the lean condition I suspect. It's on the second position from the tapered end or 5th from the flat end but there is two small washers above the clip and a thicker plastic washer below it. What are these for? I've never seen these on a needle before, usually it's just the clip and a spring. (The spring is also present.)

Last edited:
Ghost, that seems to be a rich needle setting!

Below the clip is a plastic washer with a small nipple that fits into a small hole in the slide. Then, you have your e-clip. Above that you should have a metal washer, spring, and then the plastic screw. The washer with the nipple is the needle retainer. The metal washer is for the spring seat. I'm not sure what the spring is for. Maybe to keep the needle all the way down and straight?

I included a pic to help. Picture is courtesy of Paul Czernics.

Mark

Attachments

• shimkit.jpg
    shimkit.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
There should be:

Plastic Plug - Spring - Washer - Clip - Plastic Spacer (watch out for the tiny nub which sticks into the diaphram).

If it's had a jet kit (which if it has adjustable needles I would say it does) then it should be (according to the instructions which aren't always right):

Plastic Plug - Spring - Washer - Clip - washer (usually the smaller in diameter of the two) - Plastic Spacer.

The larger washer is above the clip to prevent the needle and clip from passing up through the center of the spring. The extra washer you have (if it was installed correctly) is to richen up the midrange by 1/2 the normal clip adjustment).

Sean Morley

Hmm...O.K., I have to be suckin' air somewhere then because these plugs are almost bone white.

The jet kit is a DJ stage 7. Could it be caused by the fittings plugged into the top of the front 2 K&N's? There's def. some air getting in through there, not much, but it's not air tight either. I sprayed some ether around the intake and didn't detect any leaks in that dept.

The PAJ2 looks to be a 170 and the jet visible from the top of carb., not sure if it's the PAJ1 or the MAJ is a 90. The clip position with the addition of that washer below the e-clip is set at 5.5. It should be running rich, like Mark stated but those plugs are pretty pale. Maybe, the float setting?

I don't know, this bike is gonna be my worst nightmare...

Last edited:
Back