New from California

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortInseam

Reaction score
Hey to all! Been lurking here for a short while and absorbed lots of useful information and and burned hours on addictive reading on the Vmax. Recently acquired a handsome 2002 Vmax, 13,000 miles. Mostly stock fully functional at this point in time. I intend to modify conservatively but I will make it mine! Previous bikes include a 78 vintage (beat up) Yamaha Triple that never failed to scare the crap out of me whenever I hit the powerband, a well used Kawi Z1R KZ1000 that had a 100 mile an hour tank slapper that I just had to throttle up to smooth out the kink. (Off course the decell was just as harrowing), a brand new first edition 1986 Suzuki GSXR750 that I ended up eventually laying down after a couple of years on Ortega Hwy in south Orange county ( no significant injury). some eBay guy bought the remnants and fully restored it, sent me a picture. Anyway, evergrateful for the engaging and stimulating discussions. Thanks for having me!

VMax CA.png

Attachments

• 20230203_180729.jpg
    16 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230203_180717.jpg
    15.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Nice bike ,I see you have the virago rear grab bar. (It's a good mod.for riding 2 up)
How do you like your harbor freight bike dolly?
I got one and couldn't believe how heavy duty it is.

'Bang for the buck,' it's a decent product. However, for the 'not hurting for the gelt' crowd, the Condor is truly amazing. Just walk it in, and walk away, no sidestand needed. And to move it, one hand pushing! The large 4" dia. wheels make a big difference in safety/maneuverability.

https://www.condor-lift.com/product/motorcycle-garage-dolly-part-gd-3500/
1675613088968.png

1675613114144.png
I saw the engineer who is the company CEO who designed this demonstrate it at Daytona Bike Week, and it's truly impressive.

The ad:
The Garage Dolly rides on sturdy 4-inch wheels, so it will roll or swivel easily, and will even navigate cracks, crevices, and pitted garage floors. The Dolly is made from sturdy aluminum and steel and only weighs 68 lb. When not in use, it folds and can be mounted on a garage wall for storage. The Garage Dolly has a load rating of 1300 lbs. It measures 90″ long (expandable to 94″) and has a deck dimension of 12″ wide. It is 24″ at its widest point at the wheel brackets. Four large twist-down brakes, (along with having the wheels down as well) secure the unit from rolling when placing your bike into the Dolly, or removing it.

That is an impressive dolly. Coincidentally, I had a similar idea and am modifying my HF dolly by bolting a modified HB freight wheel chock onto it. Will bolt the mod on Thursday and try to post pictures or start a new thread. As it sits in stock form, the dolly is sturdy enough for my needs but indeed, the small wheels don't roll as easily as I envisioned. The larger culprit is the asphalt car port my bike is in. I'm also going to set the dolly wheels on some wider pads if I go static on the bike for a while as I'm sure those tiny wheels will sink divots in the asphalt due to weight. Looks like more mods on bigger wheels are in the future, and a moving handle too!. Funny thing is I seem to spend more mod time on this dolly than on the bike. I would've been better off spending the cash on the fancy on like Fire-medic shown but I don't mind customizing to my need and specs. Besides, the bike is running real good right now!

Welcome. Nice bike ,I see you have the virago rear grab bar. (It's a good mod.for riding 2 up)
I got one and couldn't believe how heavy duty it is.
Thanks for the info on the Virago grab bar. I didn't realize that!

Woody's comment:
"What you have is the OEM vmax side rails. The riser is virago."

may need clarification for someone less-familiar w/Gen. 1 equipment, bits and pieces. The VMax never came with the tall sissy bar/backrest pad. That was an OEM option, sold through the parts counter. The low, single piece grab bar was what came stock.

The optional tall sissy bar/backrest was three major die-cast pieces. A left and right grab bar, and the upside-down hoop w/the backrest upholstered pad. Eliminate the hoop, and you can substitute a die-cast Virago lower hoop. You may need to trim the Virago lower hoop a bit, where it bolts to the VMax backrest left and right grab bars. The trimming is nowhere you will see it, and it's quick and easy. Interestingly, I've seen Viragos using the same piece as the VMax tall sissy bar/backrest hoop. Make one piece do duty across more than one bike, less inventory!

No, the Virago L & R side grab bars are unique, they do not interchange with the VMax.

I was just at a friend's shop, he's a retired Ford dealership mechanic, and he wrenches on exclusively H-D's, he won't even talk about Japanese bikes! I've know him for nearly 50 years.

He has what appears to be one of the HFT roll-about lifts, and he had an overlay/underlay frame for it, which greatly increases the footprint of the lift, I didn't ask him, but I suppose it's for lifting dressers and providing less chance of a sideways tip-over. I'll try to get a pic of it next time I visit.

We were dropping off a '80 80 cu. in. Low Rider my Bike Week friend has owned since new, he has a head gasket leak and brought in the bike, w/a Cometic upper cyl gasket/seal set for service. He says it doesn't have any base of cyl gasket issues, I'm not a H-D expert, but I'd think that if the pressure is relievedby removing the cyl heads, you'd want to replace base gaskets. However, if the cyls have separate lower flanges where they bolt to the crankcase, which I think may be the case, then I suppose you could leave them alone: 'if it ain't broke, don't 'fix-it!''

My buddy is getting ready for Daytona Bike Week, we're staying on the ocean just north of Bellair Shores, which is north of where US-92 intersects State Rd A1A. We're nearly 40 years attending together a few exceptions for family events and we skipped the last two years because of COVID. Sadly Joe (Joachim) Raulf of Boxenstopp is deceased, that was a good place to visit to catch-up on things VMax, and to see the guys who showed up, like Marcus and his Tourmaster engine 1500, and Finger lakes (NY) Ron09, who does the 'sensible thing,' and spends the winter a snowbird, in FL. Steve Jasse at Iron Horse I think was having health issues, he used to allow the forum members visiting the Iron Horse Saloon to have preferred parking. Lots to see and do there. We like to attend the auction and parts swap meets, but skip 'Spider's Swap Meet,' too-expensive and it's H-D-centric. The short track national race is one we like to attend, and occasionally we've watched the 200.

Here are memories of past Bike Weeks, one of my favorite Yamaha V-twin.

Yamaha V-twin twin-turbo.01.jpgBike Week 2021 Daytona Beach.jpg

One year when they had the big auction at Stetson University in Deland, and I ran into this guy, who is it? You'll get it right if you used to watch a lot of two-wheels programming on the old Speed Channel.
Dave Despain Daytona Bike Week.png

A very-young, very-talented Richard Klamfoth, his record speaks for itself. Back in the early days, when they ran one leg in the sand, along A1A, next-to the ocean. Sadly Dick Klamfoth has passed away.
Daytona 200 3-time winner Dick Klamfoth.jpg

I got this t-shirt signed years ago during the AHMRA vintage bike races. Again, most of the signatures are from racers who have died. There is also master mechanic for Honda's motorcycle Grand Prix program, and also the Formula 1 car program. This is the back of the shirt, so Nobby Clark is on the left shoulder.

Don Vesco, champion Land Speed record-holder on a Yamaha streamliner.

Don Castro, another champion on a Yamaha. He won the Daytona 250cc roadrace at Daytona in 1974, among others. He was also a successful flat tracker, winning the 1973 San Jose Mile again on a Yamaha.

Eddie Mulder another flat track and desert racer winner.

Jody Nicholas, an AMA National roadrace multiple winner in the 1960's. He also won a National flat track race at Ascot Park.

Daytona Bike Week shirt 1995-autographs.01.jpg

That's 'Niner' Daytona 200 winner gary Nixon by the right shoulder.
Daytona Bike Week shirt 1995-autographs.02.jpg

The Usual Suspects, at Boxenstopp, before Joe, the proprietor died. Jim, Ron, Marcus and yours truly.

1675882763531.png

Last edited:
Loved the interesting historical motorcycle characters and artifacts including the outstanding...uh...beautiful bikes!!! Yeah, that's it!
Also, thanks for the Virago bar clarification another thing I would've never figured out without your help. You guys look like original hooligans.

If you're referring to the guy and me, yes his first name is 'Dave.' The rest?

Last edited:
I have that pic autographed, I brought one w/me the next year, and when I saw him, he signed it for me. I always appreciated his knowledge of things two-wheels, and his interview style always was from an interested in two-wheels person.

You are close, Despain. He's been a respected motorsports journalist for a long time.
https://fanbuzz.com/racing/dave-despain-retirement/

Last edited:
Back