New Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum

Reaction score
I may well be the last Max owner to stumble upon this site, but the following will take you to photos of the trial new Max from the Tokyo Motor Show. Some info--lots of viewer feedback. I like the four intakes and matching four exhausts. It looks as outrageous as ever. Would I trade up from my 2007? Dunno--I'd need more info and price before deciding. See what you think.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/10/20/new-yamaha-vmax-from-tokyo-motor-show/

You're absolutely right about being THE last Max owner to have discovered the prototype, LOL. We've been looking for something new for two years now and absolutely nothing. Nobody is even sure if it will happen since the stakes are very high with what's already out there to compete with and the tight regulations many countrys have for bikes. There are many of us eagerly awaiting the new and improved beast but for now, the original is still a kick in the pants. Enjoy.

This is what I wrote on that bike....

Rob C Says:

June 21st, 2006 at 9:23 am
OK - Looks like these young designers have gone to the moon. It?s gone too sportbike - boo. Just listen to the riders and R&D to address the real issues. Don?t change what made it, what it was and still is. Just make it better. OR take off anything that relates to the old Max and call it what ever you want and retire the Vmax name and its image. Then introduce a new futurerama rocketship - sport bike. Don?t put the Vmax into that sportbike image. Power and accel - is awsome but speeding around corners that you can or can?t see? is plain stupid ect?on the track - that?s different but real life it?s a deathwish. Think about your next insurance payment. It won?t matter the year, all Vmax owners will pay bigger bucks for its new sportbike image. Allot of people are gonna die when this bike comes out?thinking it?s a going to handle like a sportbike, after all it is a Vmax isn?t it ? If not, don?t call it one ! or even remotely make it look like the real thing.

Rob C Says:

June 21st, 2006 at 10:44 am
It?s me again, sorry but I just have to add that. I seen a Vmax about 5-7 years ago and fell in love with the look of it (I?m just over 40). I hope that this is the year I?ll finally get to buy one. This new concept bike is nothing like the 06 and prior. It?s a crotchrocket. The max sold itself since 85. Think again ! I don?t care what the price tag is - I would not buy this newwaved steriod morphous. The Vmax doesn?t require a face lift it only requires what thousands of owners have told you guys for years. If it is possible then do it, if not start from scratch and call it something else. Have a little respect. If you can?t sell it with it?s own new name then maybe you shouldn?t be going in that direction. Man I can?t believe this is bugging me so much.

I still feel the same way and now I do own one !:eusa_dance:

Got a note this morning from a friend where he read that possibly Yamaha has sold the rights of the supposedly new Max engine to BMW. This is speculation of course and nothing concrete is out there yet. One has to wonder of course how much quicker bikes can get and be calles street bikes. The ZX14 packs a punch and to constantly play the one-upmanship game is not in the best interest of the industry. It's getting pretty close to the top now already in what's streetable and what customers can handle in a safe manner. There is not enough market share out there to come up with strictly a drag bike and building for the street has it's limitations with the many safety features it has to have, the controlability factor, noise restrictions, insurance affordability, the possibility of law suits against the factory and the challenges go on and on for the builders.

Personally I'm still hoping to see the new beast in 2007 but if it's a no show, I still have the best thing out there, for me anyway. Whenever and whoever builds something better than the present Max, will have my money in his pocket. Enjoy your Max, it just doesn't get much better than that.........for now anyway.

Robbarrie said:
This is what I wrote on that bike....

Rob C Says:

June 21st, 2006 at 9:23 am
OK - Looks like these young designers have gone to the moon. It?s gone too sportbike - boo. Just listen to the riders and R&D to address the real issues. Don?t change what made it, what it was and still is. Just make it better. OR take off anything that relates to the old Max and call it what ever you want and retire the Vmax name and its image. Then introduce a new futurerama rocketship - sport bike. Don?t put the Vmax into that sportbike image. Power and accel - is awsome but speeding around corners that you can or can?t see? is plain stupid ect?on the track - that?s different but real life it?s a deathwish. Think about your next insurance payment. It won?t matter the year, all Vmax owners will pay bigger bucks for its new sportbike image. Allot of people are gonna die when this bike comes out?thinking it?s a going to handle like a sportbike, after all it is a Vmax isn?t it ? If not, don?t call it one ! or even remotely make it look like the real thing.

Rob C Says:

June 21st, 2006 at 10:44 am
It?s me again, sorry but I just have to add that. I seen a Vmax about 5-7 years ago and fell in love with the look of it (I?m just over 40). I hope that this is the year I?ll finally get to buy one. This new concept bike is nothing like the 06 and prior. It?s a crotchrocket. The max sold itself since 85. Think again ! I don?t care what the price tag is - I would not buy this newwaved steriod morphous. The Vmax doesn?t require a face lift it only requires what thousands of owners have told you guys for years. If it is possible then do it, if not start from scratch and call it something else. Have a little respect. If you can?t sell it with it?s own new name then maybe you shouldn?t be going in that direction. Man I can?t believe this is bugging me so much.

I still feel the same way and now I do own one !:eusa_dance:

I know the new styling is a very polarizing look-love it or hate it for sure.

I love it!

To me it just looks very much like the streetfighter look versions of the Max being customized and that are very popular in Europe...

If the build it I will buy one ASAP....

I applaud any effort made to create a bike that WILL NOT be mistaken for any sort of cruiser wannabe like so many other Jap bikes...especially if it handles well...rider responsibilty will always play the major part in riding a bike in a manner appropriate to the environment it is being operated in...

Or a crotch rocket for that matter....To my eyes it looks nothing like a crotch rocket...perhaps it does bear some resemblance to some of the naked bikes...

As far as special purpose bike marketability look at the tons of R&D that go into any new sportbike (where a completely new update is put out every 2-3 years) and the fact that they are making money on the things even tho' most of them sell for the same or less than a new Max that has had zero R&D in 22 years...I think they can do it and still make money

mikemax04 said:
Got a note this morning from a friend where he read that possibly Yamaha has sold the rights of the supposedly new Max engine to BMW. This is speculation of course and nothing concrete is out there yet. One has to wonder of course how much quicker bikes can get and be calles street bikes. The ZX14 packs a punch and to constantly play the one-upmanship game is not in the best interest of the industry. It's getting pretty close to the top now already in what's streetable and what customers can handle in a safe manner. There is not enough market share out there to come up with strictly a drag bike and building for the street has it's limitations with the many safety features it has to have, the controlability factor, noise restrictions, insurance affordability, the possibility of law suits against the factory and the challenges go on and on for the builders.

Personally I'm still hoping to see the new beast in 2007 but if it's a no show, I still have the best thing out there, for me anyway. Whenever and whoever builds something better than the present Max, will have my money in his pocket. Enjoy your Max, it just doesn't get much better than that.........for now anyway.

I heard something about that too, but I thought BMW bought the design to the OLD motor. Can anyone say for sure if either of these are true? A VMax made by BMW would be too "refined".

Buster Hymen said:
I heard something about that too, but I thought BMW bought the design to the OLD motor. Can anyone say for sure if either of these are true? A VMax made by BMW would be too "refined".
I think the whole thing is nothing but a rumor. There seem to be plenty of them floating around. To me it would make little sense for BMW to be interested in anything mechanical that's over 20 years old. BUT the new V4, if it has adjustable valve timing, just might be of interest to them, but I just can't believe it. If by too refined you mean no front wheel shake or "O" ring displacement, you're probably right. The BMW name would also drive up the cost, along with better workmanship. Look what the Krauts did with HD. Gave them a cycle with over 100hp and is not put together with cold water pipe. Not too many Hardley riders are too crazy about anybody refining their ride and many think the new Rods are too Ricey. Go figure.

If you guys want check out the new concept Max here...360 view

http://www.next-vmax.com/index_screen.html

The feedback section will ask some questions about the next new concept vmax...bla,bla,bla
Don't waste your time though, I did - not really a good questionaire but rather a marketing survey...IMHO
If ya ask me, they just want to know if you'd buy one, and at what price. At this point they couldn't care less about what we really think. BUT, as long as it is the fastest bute in the 1/4 mile. It will sell and might even be enough to keep the max cult alive for another 20plus years. Lets face it - Yamaha is looking for young blood.

Last edited:
It maybe just B.S but I read that Yamaha is getting some flack ( from who - I'm not sure ) but 1800 V4 is not going over too well I guess......too much hp.

I don't think they are sure just how they want it to look like. Here is two different looks, and the pic at the top of the page makes three...hummm

Attachments

• Yamaha-2007-V-Max-small.jpg
    Yamaha-2007-V-Max-small.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Yamaha-VMAXPRO-small.jpg
    Yamaha-VMAXPRO-small.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 24
Robbarrie said:
It maybe just B.S but I read that Yamaha is getting some flack ( from who - I'm not sure ) but 1800 V4 is not going over too well I guess......too much hp.

I don't think they are sure just how they want it to look like. Here is two different looks, and the pic at the top of the page makes three...hummm
The two pics you're showing have nothing to do with Yamaha or the new Max. They are someone else's concept. The black one on the right was manufactured by some outfit that deals in drastic customization. I've read enough opinions where one wants this and another wants just the opposite. If you're all caught up in preserving the image of the original bike, then don't even look for anything new. The new bike is not a wish list, it's a continuation of the muscle bike with upgrades front to back. Any manufacturer has to content with the various noise, safety, smog and road-ability of many countries, which in itself can be a nightmare. If they manufacture it and I get mine, it will give me great pleasure to radically change it to my liking as far as the esthetic's go. The shape of the new Max IS in line with the old. It looks really bad ass, has air scoops, looks like no other. Changes will be in more power, rigid frame, more stable front end, lighter, electronics, fuel injection, more maneuverable at low speed, better throttle control, bigger gas tank, radials, much better braking system, easier to work on when needed and the list goes on. If you don't want these upgrades, don't buy it. Those that want to challenge curves should get a sport bike and not a Max. It's impossible to build one bike that does EVERYTHING great, but it will be very close. Save your money, you'll want one.

Robbarrie said:
OK Then !
Now you tell me Rob that you don't like the front of the bike. I think it fits the image as a mean bruiser. All that plastic will be done away with and hopefully the rear fender will be closer to the tire. Yamaha even said that this version is not the final design. If they produce it, it will be a jaw dropper. But then again, not to everybody's liking.

Back