New to me 1985 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith1107

Reaction score
So, I posted in another spot on this forum that I found a 85 VMAX with only 16,000 miles on the odometer a few weeks back. According to the last owner, it was sitting for a while before he bought it PLUS he left it sit for a couple of years. So, I have started the resto process on a few items--overall though, it is in pretty good shape.

Attachments

• when purchased.jpg
    when purchased.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 33
  • when purchased2.jpg
    when purchased2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 32
  • when purchased3.jpg
    when purchased3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29
Started by taking the carbs off---yeah, they were pretty gummed up--put them in the gallon can of carb cleaner and left them for a little while. They are a little darker now than I thought they would be but they are dang clean. Now I am just waiting on my rebuild kits and I can put them back together. Did have a slight issue though with one of them getting it apart---seems the previous owner didn't use a phillips screwdriver so well and rounded off a few of the screws--dang I hate that!

Attachments

• carb clean 2.jpg
    carb clean 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 20
  • carb clean.jpg
    carb clean.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 18
Took the tank off this past weekend to get rid of the old smelly fuel in it--and sure enough, I have rust in it. Took it to a car wash with the wand and attacked it pretty hard---and now have it soaking with Milkstone Remover to etch it. I have purchased the POR 15 kit and will line it once that comes in the mail.

BTW--read a couple of threads where people say you can get the tank off without having to remove the rear fender and rear wheel--I don't believe it. I tried and tried, turned it the most I could but there was no way that it was coming out. I finally took off the back wheel and fender and it came right out.

So, while waiting for the POR 15 and carb rebuild kits to show up I decided to clean up the engine and paint it---bought some P1 paint and attacked it pretty hard---lot of work getting everything taped off.

Turned out pretty good I think.

Attachments

• engine paint left.jpg
    engine paint left.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 25
  • engine paint right3.jpg
    engine paint right3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 23
I have posted on other threads as well and really want to get this small dent out--makes me upset looking at it--too picky I guess.

Attachments

• muffler dent2.jpg
    muffler dent2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23
So, I posted in another spot on this forum that I found a 85 VMAX with only 16,000 miles on the odometer a few weeks back. According to the last owner, it was sitting for a while before he bought it PLUS he left it sit for a couple of years. So, I have started the resto process on a few items--overall though, it is in pretty good shape.

What a beautiful bike. I love that color. Better replace the tires if it has been sitting that long, they are guaranteed to be hard as rocks.

Started by taking the carbs off---yeah, they were pretty gummed up--put them in the gallon can of carb cleaner and left them for a little while. They are a little darker now than I thought they would be but they are dang clean. Now I am just waiting on my rebuild kits and I can put them back together. Did have a slight issue though with one of them getting it apart---seems the previous owner didn't use a phillips screwdriver so well and rounded off a few of the screws--dang I hate that!

BRC Carb Shop has an Allen bolt set available that replaces every phillips screw on the carb rack with S/S socket Allen bolts...(89) bolts, (23) lock washers.

$33 + $7 shp = $40 to CONUS

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 21
Congrats on the bike curiosity has me since it is an 85 and first fastest of all Vmax;s what are the last 4 numbers on the vin and you can add your name to oldest survivor of 85's too ... Good luck bringing back to glory !!!

Actually, I already did that--believe the number was around 3300 or somewhere in there. Thanks!

BRC Carb Shop has an Allen bolt set available that replaces every phillips screw on the carb rack with S/S socket Allen bolts...(89) bolts, (23) lock washers.

$33 + $7 shp = $40 to CONUS

Thanks for the name--I was wondering if someone had a kit for that.

Few more pictures---being I had the rear wheel off and fender, I was able to do a little painting to the underneath--had a fair amount of surface rust. Looks good now though.

Ok, so how the heck do you turn pictures on here? They looked the right way on my computer but now they are sideways.

Attachments

• apart2.jpg
    apart2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 16
  • apart.jpg
    apart.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
  • swingarm frame.jpg
    swingarm frame.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 14
Ok, another question---have the tank out and when I took the fuel sender out, it was rusted off and the wire was off---fixable or buy a new one?

Attachments

• fuel sender.jpg
    fuel sender.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
I would imagine it could be tig welded back together fairly easily. Not sure about the wire issue though.

Just my $.02, Get a new fuel sender..

Why have the constant worry of running out of fuel and possibly not being warned about it.

Sender and gasket at Partzilla.com. $66.00 is not that much for piece of mind.

fuel sender and gasket.jpg

I shared my $.02 because of experience with this very same issue. This is not from someone that is simply overly cautious.

Went to work (only 7 miles to the office). I knew I still had 25 miles to go, since I was at 75 on the trip meter since last fill up.

I did not pay attention that there was an accident on Rt 3 East. Backed up traffic for miles. Could only move about 3 - 5 miles per hour that morning. Everyone that took that road was late getting in. Took almost an hour, for a normal 12 minute ride.

When heading home, I got about 1/4 mile from the office and the bike started stumbling. Did not see a low fuel light, but still flipped it over to reserve,, just to make it to the Mobil station before hitting Rt 3 West to head home. Got NOTHING!!. Checked the tank, It was completely dry.

Had to get the late shift guy to take me to the gas station and find a container that I could put some fuel into AND convince the fuel attendant that I was not using that container for something illegal, and that I would be right back with the bike to fill up.

That weekend, pulled the tank and sender out. The sender itself looked OK but running resistance check on the wires did not check out correctly.
Ordered a new one, but out of curiosity, I cut the metal can on the sender open.

There is a little thermistor (Resistor that is sensitive to heat changes), that is soldered to one lead of the sender. In normal operation, it gets warm, when removed from the cooler liquid fuel. This, in turn allows a circuit to cut off power to the fuel pump and illuminate the low fuel lamp. Flipping the RESERVE switch bypasses the cut-off circuit to the fuel pump, but leaves the Low fuel light, illuminated. (I actually took a picture of the corroded thermistor. If I can find it, I'll post what it looks like inside that sender unit).

Well, the old sender had rust inside the little brass can, and the rust corroded the Thermistor so bad that it did not pick up the temperature change, when not submerged in fuel. Since then, I've coated my tank to eliminate any rust build up.

Because of the traffic jam, I used way more fuel, moving slow, but got no warning of this.

Last edited:
Back