New Vmax, new forum member. Bad bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum and I have a question about a brand new Gen2. Had to take it back to the dealership the day after I bought it because it dies.
Dies.
Dies.
Dies in idle when warming up.
Dies from any rpm when clutch is pulled.
Dies at night when going around curves while deer are present.
Did I get a bad one? Should I look into Lemon laws? Does anyone know what to tell the dealership to check since they have no idea how to work on a max? They act like they have never seen one before. I feel like a made an impulse decision on something really awesome that just isn’t mainstream enough to be a wise decision. Any suggestions would help. Also, anything I can do to help with the starVmax forum information being added to this forum, please let me know.
Thanks and hope to be here for a while,
Dan

Let the dealer show whats going on, if they are on the up and up they should sort it without any hassle. I've not read anything to indicate that the Gen2 is any less reliable than anything else in Yamaha's lineup. If they cant help them maybe a call to Mama Yama to see what their customer service dept says. Any Yamaha dealership with a service dept. should be able to take care of it. Sorry you got a glitch going, keep us posted.

Welcome!

Hey Dan.....that really sucks, I can only imagine how you must feel.

The dealer needs to make it right, and do it in a way that will keep your bike pristine.

Could it be that you might have a dead cylinder? Bad plug, plug wire, coil, injector? If you start and run it for 30 seconds or so and check the temperature of the individual head pipes you'll be able to tell if you're down a cylinder.

What I would do first however is to put the bike into the diagnostics mode and check for any engine codes. This may tell you exactly what is going on.

Here is a link to the service manual https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_XocDR3DTeYxQcdVrFBoalBscohlOoqc

Go to section 8-35 (page 468) to see how to navigate the diagnostics mode.

If you have any questions let me know.

Good luck.

Mark

Hey all, new to the forum and I have a question about a brand new Gen2. Had to take it back to the dealership the day after I bought it because it dies.
Dies.
Dies.
Dies in idle when warming up.
Dies from any rpm when clutch is pulled.
Dies at night when going around curves while deer are present.
Did I get a bad one? Should I look into Lemon laws? Does anyone know what to tell the dealership to check since they have no idea how to work on a max? They act like they have never seen one before. I feel like a made an impulse decision on something really awesome that just isn’t mainstream enough to be a wise decision. Any suggestions would help. Also, anything I can do to help with the starVmax forum information being added to this forum, please let me know.
Thanks and hope to be here for a while,
Dan

Thanks for your reply/help. I get the feeling that without the starVmax forum info being added to this site, I am not going to see much assistance for the gen2. You are very much appreciated. This may as well be a gen1 forum. Good news on the new max, I told them what you told me along with a few other things I’ve read on here and they were able to figure it out. It ended up being WAY out of sync throttle bodies. A simple fix that made such a huge difference in many aspects of the bike. Before, at around 2500rpm it felt like it lugged along like a tractor, now it is smooth and linear. While I don’t like a quiet bike, at all, it also made the engine noise level drop to a smooth roar instead of a stuttering, rougher sound. I thought I was an idiot that couldn’t get the shifting quite right when I was first riding it. Now, I realize it had to do with the throttle bodies and it shifts like a dream. There is more but I have to go. I am now happy with my purchase and hope to be riding the max for many many years. Thanks again for the help/suggestions and I hope to build relationships with some of you here on the forum.
Dan

Thanks for your reply/help. I get the feeling that without the starVmax forum info being added to this site, I am not going to see much assistance for the gen2. You are very much appreciated. This may as well be a gen1 forum. Good news on the new max, I told them what you told me along with a few other things I’ve read on here and they were able to figure it out. It ended up being WAY out of sync throttle bodies. A simple fix that made such a huge difference in many aspects of the bike. Before, at around 2500rpm it felt like it lugged along like a tractor, now it is smooth and linear. While I don’t like a quiet bike, at all, it also made the engine noise level drop to a smooth roar instead of a stuttering, rougher sound. I thought I was an idiot that couldn’t get the shifting quite right when I was first riding it. Now, I realize it had to do with the throttle bodies and it shifts like a dream. There is more but I have to go. I am now happy with my purchase and hope to be riding the max for many many years. Thanks again for the help/suggestions and I hope to build relationships with some of you here on the forum.
Dan
What I am hoping for, is for this to be a combined forum.....Gen 1 and Gen 2. All of the information that was on the StarVmax site I fear is lost, but 60-70% of the people from over there, are here as well, so all is not lost.

Also the gen1 has been around for nearly 35 years and the Gen2 is on it's first decade. I have no doubt there will be more and more Gen2 content in time. I was unaware of the star site going down, but I see that now. Did the archives make it out alive or is it all gone now?

Dan

That's awesome Dan.....it's great it was something so simple and they didn't have to tear into your new Max.
Best of luck going forward, not that you'll need it because these bikes have been proven to be amazingly trouble free and, there is nothing out there that is more fun to ride!

"Time To Ride" :cool: - have fun and stay safe.

Mark

Also the gen1 has been around for nearly 35 years and the Gen2 is on it's first decade. I have no doubt there will be more and more Gen2 content in time. I was unaware of the star site going down, but I see that now. Did the archives make it out alive or is it all gone now?

From what Ive HEARD, the owner of that site stepped away due to increasing job duties at work. With the site going down without the reins being clearly passed to anyone, I fear all of that information is lost.

From what Ive HEARD, the owner of that site stepped away due to increasing job duties at work. With the site going down without the reins being clearly passed to anyone, I fear all of that information is lost.

That would be most unfortunate. Perhaps we'll inherit a few Gen2 guys that got bounced and bolster the Gen2 section here. Hopefully with a little time the mod will throw some archives our way or place someone else in the hot seat for that forum.

Good to see you Eric, I hope all is well in your world.

62169466_329800424584717_4963470610500943872_n.jpg
That would be most unfortunate. Perhaps we'll inherit a few Gen2 guys that got bounced and bolster the Gen2 section here. Hopefully with a little time the mod will throw some archives our way or place someone else in the hot seat for that forum.

Good to see you too my friend. Hope that all is well. I'm basically finished on the 07. I have the front end where its pretty good now, with the racetech springs and the ricors.

Here is the latest pic of the 07.

I picked up a Gen 2 a while ago because it was such a good deal that i couldnt pass it up. So naturally now its time to start modding it.....lol

Last edited:

try using the wayback machine for dead websites. it's been helpful for me in the past. you can't participate but can see old posts. this is what I found.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110801000000*/http://www.starvmax.com/forum/
just pick a date on the calendar, and look around
later,bill

Last edited:
View attachment 69411

Good to see you too my friend. Hope that all is well. I'm basically finished on the 07. I have the front end where its pretty good now, with the racetech springs and the ricors.

Here is the latest pic of the 07.

I picked up a Gen 2 a while ago because it was such a good deal that i couldnt pass it up. So naturally now its time to start modding it.....lol

That looks like a different bike than the one I saw on the dyno, wow. Damn she looks good.

Back