Oem clutch replacement . Gen2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Levitz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys!
just ordered from partzilla what I think is oem clutch replacement (steels and frictions)
10, 7 , 1, 1,
Does that make sense?
There were 3 different types of steels?
Thanks in advance.

hey guys!
just ordered from partzilla what I think is oem clutch replacement (steels and frictions)
10, 7 , 1, 1,
Does that make sense?
There were 3 different types of steels?
Thanks in advance.

Its to measure the total width of the clutch disc and the steels. Here is from the factory service manual. It looks like you measure the disc, measure the steels, and then measure all of them together.

Attachments

• Clutch info.1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • Clutch info.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Now I'm confused :) up until the end I understood. But at the end of the manual it tells me to replace plate one or 2 depending.... but what am I supposed to replace them with?

Now I'm confused :) up until the end I understood. But at the end of the manual it tells me to replace plate one or 2 depending.... but what am I supposed to replace them with?

What you are measuring are 3 things.

Measuring the thickness of the disc, to see if there is wear. If there is, replace. Measure the steels for warpage. Then put the steels and discs together, for a total thickness. If the total thickness is not enough, then you replace plate #1. Remeasure your total thickness. If still not in spec, then replace plate #2. (WITH THE THICKER PLATES)

Do you have a service manual? (I cant attach one here....its 43 MB.) But here is a site to download one.

http://rob.com/lancair/2008.vmax/09vmax.pdf
Here is also a copy of the parts bulletin (microfiche) . This is what you will find on Partszillas website, or anything like that. Look at page C-12. It shows you how everything fits together.

Make sense?

Eric

Attachments

• Clutch snippet.PNG
    Clutch snippet.PNG
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
  • vmx17yb_ycb parts.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Here is also a copy of the owners manual if you need one.

Attachments

• vmx17 Owners manual.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
Ok, I think I got it . I was just going to swap out all the frictions and all the steels. I know the are warped and worn.
If there is somthing else I am missing, please let me know. And thank you for your help :)

Somthing wierd. Swiched out my clutch plates and friction plates for new oem.... now the clutch drags. Was able to compensate for this with adjustable clutch lever.. although I wish I didnt have as much travel. And aswell the bike stalled a few times while moving 40 km or so as I slowly was engaging the clutch...
Any ideas ?

Gen 2 2014
Gurued, airbox mod, ufo 4-2, dd clutch.

Latest posts

Back