Off Throttle Clatter/ Oil Psi. ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1RadV

Reaction score
35000 miles 06 stock max well kept not thrashed came off freeway the other day coasted to stop engine felt like not responding well to reving up to leave the stop sign, heard what sounded like low oil pressure clatter from rods or somthing with a two tone sound like a piston wristpin noise. I stayed untill softly reving up and down untill noise backed off a little. I easly drove up the street and it seemed to clatter again on rolling off throttle. Next morning pulled oil filter and found out that for I think now the second time I did not either install the spring on the right side and this time found no washer but filter was against the block side but of course without the washer the spring tore threw the rubber grommet on the filter case side and filter once again was out of position not filtering both times, oill dirter than normal but no metal shavings on the plug and oil did not stay that long in there that way changed it right away after seeing it getting dirty. After new oil and filter in right with washer started up all fine drove into stop and go fan on temp ok and every time just at the point of easy shifting around 3 to 4 grand clatter starts coming on and sounds louder as you clutch in to shift and the r's drop a little. I have not shimmed the valves yet and was just thinking about the timing chain but I really dont feel that that is whats happining and I thought the Max had auto adjuster on the chain. Sure hope it's not the internal o ring problem. I guess the next thing is hooking up the oil PSI. gauge anyone know off hand PSI stat for these at Idle and Higher, or any guess on whats happining. Thanks, George.

ive got a guage... cold start 63 psi, thats on the relief, hot idle 6 - 9 psi, roughly 10 psi for every 1000 - 1200 rpm to 5000rpm where im at 55 - 60 psi.

good luck,
evan...

edit... btw im running 15w40 yamalube

Thank You, same yamalube for me. I used to Deal with Legend cars out at Infinon (sears point) and the smart guys started to run Castrol Syntec when it first came out they made a nice bright ball of orange flame that looked as bright as the sun when they blew out on the left side of the block right on the screaming hot Borla header. I taklked to Tim the owner of Redline and he told me then about the shear values in the oil for a motorcycle are most important because of the gear abuse it also gets. Makes sence to me but you might want to go lighter wieght in the winter Esp. in the real cold helps easyer shifting tried it on mine worked was having a little issue with smooth shifting while it cold would fight you.

I don't think it's uncommon for a gen 1 to have as little as 3-4psi while idling hot. Both my 85 Vmax and 86 Venture Royale idle with pressure that low on a guage.

Thank You took it out for a ride yesterday nothing right off the bat cold short ride stoped sat for a while went home and caught the noise again sounded like right front cyl looked close at pipe starting to blue and heat discolor got back on here and found some people are having inner wall break down going to check that out today

Back