Oil leaks everywhere! Help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0zgrove

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an '89 that I'm trying hard not to throw off a cliff. I've replaced a ton of parts to try and get this bike ride-able and reliable. For some reason I can't get the middle gear oil drain bolt to stop leaking! I've replaced the bolt with the official Yamaha one as well as tried 2 Yamaha copper crush washers and it STILL will not stop leaking; it's driving me nuts. Any ideas on how to make it stop?

Also, it looks like there's a little bit of oil leaking from near the exhaust port on 2 cylinders. Is this a common thing? Would replacing the exhaust gaskets fix this or is it a sign of bigger problems? There's no white smoke or anything coming out of the exhaust while the bike is idling.

Try heating up a copper washer with a small torch first, It softens the washer and gets it to squish into place, sealing better. Don't use two washers, if that's what you meant. Make sure the bolt isn't bottoming out.Look above the exhaust ports to the valve cover gaskets. If its coming out of the exhaust, which I don't think it is, there is an issue. An engine cleaning, then splash of talcum powder to find the true leak location is helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not stacking washers, I just tried 2 separate ones with no luck. I just replaced the valve cover gaskets this weekend. Unfortunately I'm working on the bike out of a storage unit so I'll try to clean up the engine best I can and try the powder trick to isolate the oil leak some more.

Back