OTEC Clear Engine Covers ? Opinions ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the complete set of OTEC Turbine style covers. Alternator cover, transmission cover, water pump cover, differential cover, clutch cover with the clear window, & cam covers.

The anodizing on the clutch cover completely flaked off. The anodizing on the cam covers turned purple. All the other covers are holding up OK so far. I painted the clutch & cam covers with high temperature engine paint & they have held up great since 2014.

One trick if you have to paint something like the cam covers I have. The silver polished area is too small to mask off. So I inserted kids play putty in the polished recesses, trim with a razor blade, paint, then pull out the kids play putty. All is good now.

All in all I love the OTEC covers.

Attachments

• Vmax Clutch cover.jpg
    Vmax Clutch cover.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Vmax cam covers.JPG
    Vmax cam covers.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
I installed the complete set of OTEC Turbine style covers. Alternator cover, transmission cover, water pump cover, differential cover, clutch cover with the clear window, & cam covers.

The anodizing on the clutch cover completely flaked off. The anodizing on the cam covers turned purple. All the other covers are holding up OK so far. I painted the clutch & cam covers with high temperature engine paint & they have held up great since 2014.

One trick if you have to paint something like the cam covers I have. The silver polished area is too small to mask off. So I inserted kids play putty in the polished recesses, trim with a razor blade, paint, then pull out the kids play putty. All is good now.

All in all I love the OTEC covers.
Thanks for the advice

Question about the clutch cover. Do I still use the stock spring retainer plate with the new aluminum plate that comes with the cover? The new plate has a machined groove it fits in perfectly.

Disregard. Found it elsewhere, stock plate is reused with the new one.

Last edited:
Question about the generator/starter clutch cover on the left side. Service manual says exhaust has to come off to remove this cover. Wondering how true that is...looks like there is plenty of room to get the cover off the dowels before the front of the cover would hit the front exhaust pipe.

Back