Problem with Crusing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I found the problem.

I just rode the bike 40 miles on RES with no probs. Accel, decel, and cruises fine.

Good to hear.....now gotta see why u have to be on res but at least you can ride....

I put a new Koso Speedo and Tach on my bike.

Follow me on this and tell me if I'm wrong:

Green and Red/Black dash Wire is the bulb for Low Fuel. The Red/Black Dash also goes to the coils to detect spark from the ignition.

My speedo has a fuel meter, but no indicator light for Fuel low. So i connected the Green wire to the "Fuel" input of the Koso speedo. The Red/Black Dash wire is capped off. So in essence, this is causing the Fuel Level sensor to be open all of the time because the Red/Black Dash is not joined to detect spark.

So the switch to RES bypasses the Fuel Level Sensor and runs the pump. With the Switch to ON, it thinks the Fuel Level Sensor is open and the pump doesn't run.

Normally when the Fuel Level Sensor is open because of the fuel level is below the sensor, and this causes the Light to come on and let the rider know to switch to RES because the pump is off.

Is this accurate?

I put a new Koso Speedo and Tach on my bike.

Follow me on this and tell me if I'm wrong:

Green and Red/Black dash Wire is the bulb for Low Fuel. The Red/Black Dash also goes to the coils to detect spark from the ignition.

My speedo has a fuel meter, but no indicator light for Fuel low. So i connected the Green wire to the "Fuel" input of the Koso speedo. The Red/Black Dash wire is capped off. So in essence, this is causing the Fuel Level sensor to be open all of the time because the Red/Black Dash is not joined to detect spark.

So the switch to RES bypasses the Fuel Level Sensor and runs the pump. With the Switch to ON, it thinks the Fuel Level Sensor is open and the pump doesn't run.

Normally when the Fuel Level Sensor is open because of the fuel level is below the sensor, and this causes the Light to come on and let the rider know to switch to RES because the pump is off.

Is this accurate?

There is an EXCELLENT description of how the low fuel level circuitry works, in the "sticky'"section of the Electrical forum.
From looking at the wiring diagram in the Clymer manual, it appears as if the red/black wire is the positive input to the fuel light bulb. The green wire appears to be a grounding loop, but only completed when the fuel level is below the sender (causing the light to come on)The same wire goes to the fuel pump relay, which must be configured so that this completed ground also shuts off the pump. Switching the reserve switch to "RES"provides another positive feed to the relay, which in turn energizes the fuel pump again.
To answer another one of your questions - no, it does no harm to leave the switch in the "RES" position. It will just continue to run until the tank is completely dry.
I'm not familiar with the Koso speedo, but I can't see how you could get the existing wires to operate the fuel gauge, because it is just an on-off circuit. I believe gas gauges work on a variable resistance circuit, requiring a specialized float and sending unit.
What you could do, however, is mount the fuel level bulb next to the speedo, if your intention is to get the warning lights up higher. This of course, would require some fabbed up brackets, as well as re-wiring work.
Regardless of it's final location, I would not do away with the low fuel level warning circuit. It's an essential safety and convenience feature of the bike.
Cheers!

Back