Red "oil level" lamp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vuk8691

Reaction score
Hi!
When I make an increase in speed with my Max (2000 year), red lamp start flash for a few sec. Oil level is on maximum. Is it normal? What could be the problem? Can I resolve it?
:ummm:

Mine did this the other day for the first time...I believe its a common occourance/problem on all year Vmaxes, the oil gets forced back and away from the sensor during hard acceleration and cauuses the light to go off, from what I ve read as long as it only does it under the aformentioned acceleration and only stays on for a few seconds it is not a real problem...more of a "false reading"

it is however annoying and gets your attention at the worst time (when your hauling ass and should be wathing the road not your gauges/lights).

Last edited:
apparently it means you are making full power and pulling the oil away from the sensor. it is annoying though. when i first bought mine it did it on the way home and i babied it the rest of the way so i would not hurt the motor.

im a 280 pound rider and i have cobra pipes, i dont think im making "full power" but i get the light to come on a lot too. makes me feel better now

Yes, it is normal for the oil light to come on under hard acceleration. That's the level indication. The oil pickup is towards the rear I've been told, so there are no issues with oil pressure under full throttle conditions.

Yes, it is normal for the oil light to come on under hard acceleration. That's the level indication. The oil pickup is towards the rear I've been told, so there are no issues with oil pressure under full throttle conditions.

Could the engine be damaged in this period (few sec. when the light come red)?

I don't think so, there is still oil in the engine and its getting to all the parts, its just not getting to the sensor....again it has nothing to do with oil pressure its just giving you a false reading of having low oil level...

I don't think so, there is still oil in the engine and its getting to all the parts, its just not getting to the sensor....again it has nothing to do with oil pressure its just giving you a false reading of having low oil level...

Thanks! I'm better now!

I consider it my "state of tune" light. The more it goes on under acceleration, the better tuned and dialed in the bike is!:biglaugh: :rocket bike:

Think of it this way...your oil pump is drawing oil from the rear of the sump. The level switch that tells the red light to come on is at the front. Under acceleration, the oil is forced to the rear of the sump, causing the level switch to indicate no oil, but from a lubrication standpoint, the effective oil level/suction pressure is at its highest when you are nailing the throttle!:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back