Removed cylinder side cover, no coolant..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Hello folks. Hope your having a great day..

I'm changing out the coolant on a 85 and I have three cylinder side covers off but the last, as usual, wont come off. I don't think they've ever been off.

I'll keep the screw wet with PB blaster and keep working it, but can someone tell me if after removing the cylinder side covers, should coolant come out of the brass holes? Or do I need to remove the rubber o-rings, because I have nothing after draining and refilling with distilled?

Thanks

You need to thread a spark plug in the plug and pull before coolant comes out.

Mark

Thanks.

Is this a important step, or only intended to drain more coolant? Because I don't want to break that last cover screw, and those rubber plugs are 38 years old..

The instructions don't mention the necessity of purging air from these four drains while filling, so I'm going to skip it because I don't want to break a cover screw.

There are only a few fl oz's in there so probably not a huge difference. Probably could blow it out with air compressor through one of the main hoses but never tried that.

To purge air, just run the bike for a few minutes with coolant cap on the coolant manifold off. Top off the fluid and wait for bubbles to dissipate. Do this with the drain valve in open position and then close it.

Mark

Good luck Rebar.
Glad to see you on the forum. It's been a while.
Glad yo didn't sell the max.

Good luck Rebar.
Glad to see you on the forum. It's been a while.
Glad yo didn't sell the max.

Thanks bud.. It has been a while but I still own both of them.

I wasnt really looking forward to working on one, but once I got the garage cleared out and the bike up on the lift, I realized I had forgotten how much I like working on them

Back