rumbling noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a fairly low mileage '98 model, finally got it running smooth after loads of carb problems.
Anyway new problem is a rattle/rumble noise. I've worked out that in neutral with clutch lever pulled in it sounds fine. when I let out clutch there's quite an obvious rattling, gets worse hotter engine is. Clutch works fine when riding.
Worry was something messed up with bearings or whatever in clutch or perhaps nut holding clutch on has come loose.

Any ideas, before I strip it down?

Hi, I've got a fairly low mileage '98 model, finally got it running smooth after loads of carb problems.
Anyway new problem is a rattle/rumble noise. I've worked out that in neutral with clutch lever pulled in it sounds fine. when I let out clutch there's quite an obvious rattling, gets worse hotter engine is. Clutch works fine when riding.
Worry was something messed up with bearings or whatever in clutch or perhaps nut holding clutch on has come loose.

Any ideas, before I strip it down?

Quite common- clutch discs wearing and possibly warped pressure plate.

Has the noise always been there or is it something that has developed?

You will get a rattling if the half plate has been replaced with a full plate so it would be worthwhile checking that when you have the clutch apart. This is normal and nowt to worry about.

If the clutch is OK then I would suspect an issue associated with the main-shaft (assuming the bike is in neutral) as only this would turn when the clutch is released; the lay shaft won't be turning until you select a gear.

I've read a few more threads here under "clutch noise" and it seems everyone says a bit of rattle is normal, so I'll relax and not worry about my clutch disintegrating next time I open up the throttle.
Also it's supposed to get worse if engines' running rough which mine was last few times I've ridden it. One of the plugs had packed up.

Thanks for replies

Latest posts

Back