starting problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike ascott

Reaction score
Ive got a 1990 full power model which was working perfectly. I topped up the fuel tank this morning and noticed a slight rust mark inside the tank fill tube.. I assumed a bit of water had got past the cap .. went out for a ride but started misfire after 500 yards then stopped and refused to start .. pushed the bugger home and disconnected fuel supply pipe from carb feed , turned on ignition and clean petrol came out.
assumed some water had gotten into the carbs and it would eventually be drawn thru till it got back to neat petrol. bike would barely run for a few seconds and only then with choke lever on full.. exhaust pipes hot at front but both rears cold ....good spark to all cylinders so tried dripping petrol directly into the carb intake but no difference..still wont fire up (or if it does its very erratic and wont rev up)
do the carbs have any sort of float chamber that can be drained or are they just direct feed and will constant turning over eventually solve problem .Could there be something else I havent tried .. Mike 0044 (0)1942 744708 wigan UK

each carb has a drain screw on the lower right hand side, the fuel will drain out of the rubber hoses directly underneath the center of the carbs.

I had a guy from Pittsburgh last summer that filled his bike with diesel fuel,made it about a mile before it died.I drained his tank right there beside the road and had to drain the bowls 3 times before getting the oil out.Some new plugs and fresh gas and it ran good again.

I had a guy from Pittsburgh last summer that filled his bike with diesel fuel,made it about a mile before it died.I drained his tank right there beside the road and had to drain the bowls 3 times before getting the oil out.Some new plugs and fresh gas and it ran good again.

Dude! I did the same thing in high school in a 66 chevy p/u I had. I think there may have been alchohol involved but in any case I ended up with a full tank of diesel.

Smoked like hell but ran decently (12.25:1 compression) about 15 miles until I got home.

Cleaned it all up and all was good.

Rusty

Back