Stock exhaust and center stand install questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDenmark92

Reaction score
Hello, I've had my '06 VMax for a few years now and it's had those dreaded Cobra slip-ons the entire time I have owned it. I just aquired the original muffler assembly and center stand, which I intend to install.

Questions:
1. How crucial is the muffler mount that goes in the center of the muffler? It it difficult but not impossible to locate one.
2. Where on earth does the center stand spring attach to the bike? Is there a bracket that may have been removed in the past when the Cobras were installed?
3. My carbs have a "stage 1" or similar jet kit installed, am I safe to run it for a while and check the plugs to see how my A/F mixture is? Or do I risk running my engine lean and burning up my cylinders? I don't care if I run rich while I figure it out but lean scares me.

1] As-heavy as the megaphones are, you want that bracket. If you cannot find one, it should be easy to fabricate. I'd use it rather than not-use it.

VMax exhaust diagram.pngVMax exhaust complete.png

2] See attachment. 2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Stand Footrest | Ron Ayers

Part #43
Link, Main Stand

1FK-27115-00-00

Retail Price: $13.99

Your Price: $9.48

3] Compare your needles to these to see which kit you have. The Stage 1 kit is problematic, do not try to use it, better men than you have failed trying to make it operate optimally; just get-rid of it. Revert to stock jetting if you re-install the OEM exhaust. For the main jets you could reduce it to 150 Mikuni or 147.5 and it likely will work a bit better. They're jetted rich from the factory. Be aware the Dynojet main jet sizing is different from Mikuni! Their #'s are higher for a same size as Mikuni jet. If you want the chart with values about that, use the 'advanced search,' click on the upper right-hand 'search' word.

VMax needles.jpg

Last edited:
1] As-heavy as the megaphones are, you want that bracket. If you cannot find one, it should be easy to fabricate. I'd use it rather than not-use it.

2] See attachment. 2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Stand Footrest | Ron Ayers

3] Compare your needles to these to see which kit you have. Th Stage 1 kit is problematic. Revert to stock jetting if you re-installe the OEM exhaust. For the main jets you could reduce it to 150 Mikuni or 147.5 and it likely will work a bit better. They're jetted rich from the factory.
This is by far the most straight to the point and helpful response ive ever recieved in a forum. Thank you.

This is by far the most straight to the point and helpful response ive ever recieved in a forum. Thank you.
I am not a professional mechanic. The VMax is my enduring hobby. I bought my first 28 years ago, and I still own it. I plead the 5th Amendment on any others... . Presently I can say that desert_max has fallen-behind, he's a 'piker,' as our U.K. friends call 'em. 🤭 Part-of the desert_max stable:

VMax desert_max bikes.jpg

There are many people participating on-here who will voluntarily contribute to answer questions, today, I happened to be the first. Probably anything that ever-happens to your bike, it happened to someone on-here, and it was resolved, with a 'paper-trail' electronically-speaking, to guide you through resolution of it.

If you do some mod to your bike, and it works-well for you, write it up, include some decent pics, and make a post, or add to one under the existing heading. My opinion is that getting a rear wheel in 17" or 18" to allow you to run radial tires is the #1 best improvement to making a VMax a better bike. You can fit an 18" front radial on the OEM wheel, it's not the optimal width, but you can do it, don't go larger-width than a stock front width.

Hello, I've had my '06 VMax for a few years now and it's had those dreaded Cobra slip-ons the entire time I have owned it. I just aquired the original muffler assembly and center stand, which I intend to install.

Questions:
1. How crucial is the muffler mount that goes in the center of the muffler? It it difficult but not impossible to locate one.
2. Where on earth does the center stand spring attach to the bike? Is there a bracket that may have been removed in the past when the Cobras were installed?
3. My carbs have a "stage 1" or similar jet kit installed, am I safe to run it for a while and check the plugs to see how my A/F mixture is? Or do I risk running my engine lean and burning up my cylinders? I don't care if I run rich while I figure it out but lean scares me.
The mount is in 2 halfs... the top half is normally left on the frame when they change the exhaust. It's held on with 2 10mm bolts. The bottom is the bit thats normally lost. It's a damper, washer and m10x 45 x 1.25 bolt.

Latest posts

Back